Remove this ad

Duck

Maverick

Maverick

Lead

Oct 12 11 9:01 PM

Tags : :

I'm not quite sure why the UNT fans say this kind of stuff. After all, there are three or four former Sunbelt schools in the WAC and none that have moved the other way. I wonder why LaTech hasn't made such a move, and can only guess that they consider the WAC to be more prestigious and a move to the SNB would be a step down.
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

UTAMavalum83

Senior

#2 [url]

Feb 2 13 1:41 PM

Re: UNT Fans Think Slumbelt is Better Than WAC

Duck wrote:
I'm not quite sure why the UNT fans say this kind of stuff. After all, there are three or four former Sunbelt schools in the WAC and none that have moved the other way. I wonder why LaTech hasn't made such a move, and can only guess that they consider the WAC to be more prestigious and a move to the SNB would be a step down.

So does this make our eventual move to the SBC - a step backward or down?

Quote    Reply   

FoUTASportscaster

Maverick

#3 [url]

Feb 4 13 1:19 PM

This year, it is. Next year, it won't be. That's the problem with conference realignment. Everything changes.

The WAC, as it stands now has a bit higher prestige and conference revenues. But next year will include teams like UTPA, Chicago St. and Grand Canyon. Their prestige has gone south very faster. They are, in fact, the very biggest loser of conference realignment. Even if the lineup stayed current with the 12/13 offering, revenues were going to slip when media agreements were due. So long term, this is a step up.

UTA would have been happy staying in the WAC, but when Louisiana Tech and UTSA left for C-USA and Utah St and San Jose departed for the MWC, it left us and Texas St in a bind. For the Bobcats, the Sun Belt was a very legitimate option. For us, we were fortunate that Arkansas-Little Rock is still a member. It helped balance out the non-football schedules.

As it stands now, next year's WAC will be less competitive (from an RPI standpoint) than the Southland in just about every sport. They have a lot of room for improvement and likely will now that they have an auto-bid, but it was a move we had to make.

And personally, I would still be wary of the WAC being a springboard for programs moving up (I am in the Sun Belt too, just not as much).

Quote    Reply   

Duck

Maverick

#4 [url]

Feb 10 13 7:38 PM

If the SLC returned to FBS, it would still be just a bit lower than the 'Belt. But if the revenues were equal and the Southland went to FBS, I think the SLC would be a better conference for us. But what the heck, we can't go back now.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

Duck

Maverick

#5 [url]

Mar 8 13 9:49 PM

Pretty soon this semester will be over and our only year in the WAC will be completed. It has been a good conference: too bad that it is melting down like this. Next year the WAC will be just a sad remnant of its former glory. I hope the Sun Belt will not suffer a similar fate.

Quote    Reply   

UTAMavalum83

Senior

#6 [url]

Mar 9 13 9:32 AM

Me too, Duck; if dominoes continue to fall, the SBC may lose Western Kentucky and possibly even Arkansas State. Let's hope it stays together as it is now. The travel will be greater, but at least our student athletes will be heading east for most away contests; that will give them time to pick up an hour when they are in the Eastern time zone (when they return to campus for tests). May make it a little easier on them academically (i.e. to get back for tests the following day). That was the rationale TCU originally had for joining the Big East, and it made sense - of course until the Big XII came calling . . . .

Quote    Reply   

UTAMavalum83

Senior

#7 [url]

Jul 8 13 8:45 PM

Duck wrote:

Well, they sure don't any more now, do they? All they know is Cusa this, and Cusa that.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help