Remove this ad

GiantBenMav

Alumni

Alumni

Lead

Sep 9 11 9:03 PM

Tags : :

http://www.theshorthorn.com/index.php/s ... -for-feb-1

goal is it to be a doubleheader (men's and women's) playing UTSA ... if for some reason the arena is not yet ready the doubleheader will be at Texas Hall ...

I like the decision, ideally you want a "rivalry" game ... for SLC purposes UTSA, SHSU, and SFA stand out ... but with the WAC move, UTSA really is the best choice for both teams, they have had some epic games the last few seasons ...

Buddy Christ Says: Go Mavs !!!

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

UTArlingtonMaverick

#2 [url]

Sep 10 11 8:49 PM

Re: 1st Game ANNOUNCED!!!

I was hoping for UTSA.

They are a present rival and future WAC rival, and they are a sister institution. I like it.

UTSA supported us to get admitted to the WAC.

We'll get high profile teams to come in, no matter what. The hype of the first games against a respectable rival is great. I can't see "rewarding" or gracing any other school (esp. in the area), with the possible exception of Texas State. They would have been okay in my book, too.

BTW, we have a chance to be victorious in both games.

I don't see the point of scheduling a first game in the SEC with somebody who is going to hand our asses over to us. No, this is very fine.

Quote    Reply   

mav91

Alumni

#3 [url]

Sep 10 11 9:11 PM

The WAC ain't ready for the Mavs. I really think our farewell tour of the Southland will be one to remember. I'm predicting 18 wins this season, plus another 3 or 4 to win the conference tournament.

Quote    Reply   

80sAlum

Alumni

#5 [url]

Sep 13 11 6:04 PM

I agree, you hate to get beat your first game in the new arena with a large crowd....was surprised North Texas State scheduled U of H for their first game in their football stadium, and of course got beat rather handily last weekend.

Quote    Reply   

UTArlingtonMaverick

#6 [url]

Sep 13 11 7:58 PM

The stadium opening up north is exactly the kind of lopsided drubbing I want to avoid by scheduling a "big" name. UTSA is growing in stature and will be a very reputable opponent. I think it is also a way to thank them for standing up for us all the way to the presidential level with the WAC.

Quote    Reply   

fortworthfletch

Sophomore

#7 [url]

Sep 14 11 3:25 PM

It's a good game with a Great Spin on it. Future WAC Conference opponents in their last year of the SLC

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

FoUTASportscaster

Maverick

#8 [url]

Sep 14 11 8:33 PM

Where are you getting that UTSA stood up for us in the WAC? I am not saying you are wrong, but the WAC expanded into bigger media markets. Seattle and Denver are arguably worse than us and I doubt that anyone stood up for them. In today's conference thought, where you expand your geographic footprint rather than cultivate rivals, we or North Texas were an obvious choice. Since North Texas (rightfully) didn't want to leave the Sun Belt, then we were a logical choice.

I'm not saying I would have liked a Big 12 team to come in, but a North Texas would have been nice. UTSA has been a constatnt opponent since the early 90's. We know what that brings in.

Quote    Reply   

UTArlingtonMaverick

#9 [url]

Sep 15 11 9:19 PM

Oh, you wanted the green wieners...why didn't you say so? I got confused by the word, "high profile."

Hey, I'm glad we play unT every year, but it doesn't help anything to move their game from the usual non-confence part of the season and try to work them in during conference play. We already have the benefit of them coming in. Moving the game doesn't really do anything extra for us, IMO. And, I don't think we need to trouble ourselves that much to have them grace College Park Center. There is going to be a lot of publicity surrounding the opening, and I'd rather give it to a Texas WAC conference mate.

On the other thing, it was reported in the print media (yes, I know, dubious reliability) that President Romo of UTSA spoke to Benson about our membership in a favorable light. I can dig it up if you want. I'm not suggesting that Romo's endorsement was some kind of deal-maker for us, but it was nice and didn't hurt anything.

On other matters, CAN WE FINALLY GET A VOLLEYBALL COACH WHO HAS THE CAPABILITY OF DOING SOMETHING WITH THE PROGRAM????!

Quote    Reply   

Duck

Maverick

#11 [url]

Sep 18 11 3:25 PM

unT? Nice touch. I used to call them the University of Not Texas, but it just looked like a typo. Change of direction:

As the realignment dominoes continue to fall, sucking Syracuse and Pitt into an ACC "superconference," I wonder which CUSA schools will be given the BCS opportunity to back-fill into the BEast. Will the Big 12 survive? A move from MtW, WAC or ConfUSA to Big East or Big 12 would allow some of those mid-mid conference schools to become BCS Automatic Qualifiers, so I wouldn't count the B12 or BEast out quite yet. Maybe two WAC schools and perhaps a total of ten from the other mid-mids could move up. Boise has to be kicking themselves.

Unt could have a shot at their dream of moving up to the CUSA, but by then, the CUSA probably won't have Houston, SMU, Tulsa or Memphis. When the dust settles, I predict the Lone Star, Southland, Sunbelt and MAAC conferences will be hardest hit. It looks more and more like English soccer leagues, with promotion and relegation of top and bottom programs. The WAC is already pretty bare, so I don't expect much change there. What fun!

Quote    Reply   

grumpdogg

Senior

#12 [url]

Sep 19 11 12:45 PM

I think Boise St. will ultimately end up in a BCS AQ conference. The Big East will just about be done football-wise pretty soon, especially if 2 more Big East schools move to the ACC which is the current rumor (UCONN being one of the 2). At this point TCU would have been better off staying in the MWC and seeing what happened. The Big East was already barely holding onto its AQ status and I think it will ultimately lose it now.

Quote    Reply   

Duck

Maverick

#13 [url]

Sep 21 11 7:07 PM

Not so sure about how the Big East or Big 12 could lose their AQ status. I think as long as they have 6 or more FB members, they will not be losing that status. It is the one big carrot they both have to attract additional members. As with TCU's move, it would be a step up to go from CUSA, WAC or MtW to an AQ conference. I imagine if an AQ conference could have lost that status, the Big East would have done so when BC and Miami went to the ACC. The Big East has already reloaded once or twice before, so it will come as no surprise when they do it again. Perhaps they will finally persuade Villanova to move up from FCS like UConn did. Air Force, Navy, BYU and that hardy perennial, Notre Dame are all in the cross-hairs as well.

As for the Big XII, what a basket case! We really should want to have a Central Time Zone conference, but it's looking more and more like the remnants of the SWC after Texas, TAMU, Tech and Baylor deserted that conference in the mid 90s. Kansas, K-State, Iowa State, Baylor, Missouri (?), SMU, Houston and Tulsa would make a nice nucleus of a new Big XII. Other possible members could be Rice, Southern Miss, LaTech, Tulane, Unt and Colorado State. Oh but wait! The PaC12 has reportedly rejected UT, OSU and OU, so it may be that those three schools will stay put, resulting in a much less interesting transition in the Big XII.

All of which goes to the same point. If those two wounded rump conferences can be allowed to cling to their AQ status, they will have the leverage needed to reload and there will be ample impetus for more dominoes to fall among the mid-level conferences.

Quote    Reply   

FoUTASportscaster

Maverick

#14 [url]

Sep 22 11 11:48 AM

First, let me say that at this point conference realignment talk is all fluff and no substance, things change and rumors are out there.

This time last week, the rumors were that the UT, OU, OSU and TT were going to bolt for the Pac-12 Missouri was going to the SEC and the remainder of the Big 12 was going to merge with the Big East football schools.

But, to answer a question, you can easily lose AQ status. The Big East almost did. In fact, I think they were kinda of going through a probationary period. They took the best of C-USA and ran with it. This time around, there isn't a cream left that wouldn't make the Big East better than C-USA or the MWC.

My bet is that the stance that OU took about reigning the the Longhorn network and getting Bebee out will keep the Big 12 intact. It may also allow A&M to save face and stay. Some mebers of the SEC were leary of expanding past 12 anyway. With the Pac 12 ad Big 10 already out on expansion (12 always seems to be the most stable number for a conference), I wouldn't be surprised if the SEC said no. The ACC expanded purely as a reactionary measure against encroachment by the SEC. Needless to say, the next few months will be hard to predict.

BTW, we seem to no longer be discussing the first game at CPC. Can this topic be moved?

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help