Remove this ad

youcanuseamint

Lead

Jul 9 11 2:41 PM

Tags : :

I think I speak for an entire conference fan base when I say your addition caught us by surprise. Even for a Texas State fan, it's been a helluva ride just watching this conference attempt expansion. It's quite clear UT-Arlington either rounds out an eastern division of the WAC and two football western schools are prepared to make the jump or Lamar U will be added to the east along with an FCS in the west.

Please come and introduce yourselves to other boards. Don't be offended if you read stuff slamming your school. Bottom line is you're in and UTA will help move the conference forward.

Texas State - http://www.BobcatReport.com

WAC - http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=451&f=2368

I'll venture everyone once in a while to chime in on any Texas State/WAC discussions.

But again, Welcome!
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

TBonesLU

#2 [url]

Jul 11 11 3:20 PM

Re: Welcome to the WAC, UTA!

Congratulations to UT-A. As hard as it is for me to say that, I feel I must.

With that said, this does not seem to be in the best interest for the WAC. Lamar has a football program newly revived, has raised more money in the last 5 years than since we were founded in '23, and we have consistently been competitive in every sport for years. With UT-A's DMA in the middle of Cowboys/Rangers/Mavericks/Stars/Mustangs/Frogs/RoughRiders/Mean Green country, how can anyone expect the athletic program to compete? The new athletics building is going to hold 6,500 people (?). Lamar's Montagne Center holds 10,080 with some of the best recruits in the country for basketball, football, baseball surrounding it with no other competitors in 50 miles.

Please feel free to state your arguments. I am merely curious to see what some of you think. I do not mean this as a slight to your university. I live in Dallas myself and love the area.

Quote    Reply   

FoUTASportscaster

Maverick

#3 [url]

Jul 27 11 4:41 PM

While I don't disagree that Lamar has made strides in its athletic program, UTA has consistently finished ahead of them in the commissioners cup.

However, academics come into play and UTA is on a higher academic plane than Lamar, with a greater number of upper echelon high school graduates, diverse degree plans and doctoral grantings.

As for facilities, a 10,000 seat arena that is 1/5 full is not as imposing as a 6,500 seat arena that is 1/3 full. Clay Gould Stadium beats Vincent-Beck Stadium (I know, I broadcast games in both).

UTA also sits in the middle of DFW, which even a third page reference is more than front page in Beaumont.

Sadly, while I am conflicted on the move, UTA is a much stronger entrant for a move up than most other SLC schools.

Quote    Reply   

FoUTASportscaster

Maverick

#5 [url]

Jul 27 11 7:28 PM

Thanks! Took me a while, I always disliked the Voy Board because I could never remember it. I then searched all my old e-mails until I found the one Duck sent me when I was in undergrad.

Quote    Reply   

Duck

Maverick

#6 [url]

Jul 27 11 8:49 PM

Dang Fo, that was a really old e-mail! It's great to have you back. I've been riding mass transit lately, and have been thinking of you each time I get on the green line at Liberty Station in Dallas.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

80sAlum

Alumni

#7 [url]

Jul 28 11 12:18 PM

Seems like we've lost more than just Fo from the "old" board...so how do we get the word out about this board? anyone have connections with The Shorthorn for an article once fall sessions start? (That is how I found the original board). Thoughts? I myslef have been visiting the WAC board now, as this one has been so dead.

Quote    Reply   

FoUTASportscaster

Maverick

#8 [url]

Jul 28 11 3:24 PM

Liberty Station?

I think the message board is going to have the same issue as the others. Getting the word out is more troublesome than getting the fans. I can really only think of taking an ad out in the shorthorn at an opportune time, say the basketball preview issue or at a time when a major team makes the NCAA's.

Now would be the time, regardless of your take on the WAC move, with a temporary increase in the interest level of UTA athletics.

Quote    Reply   

GiantBenMav

Alumni

#10 [url]

Aug 1 11 10:02 PM

UTAMavalum83 wrote:
So glad to be on and now a part of the board. Let's go Mavericks!

Glad we could get you on ... welcome

Buddy Christ Says: Go Mavs !!!

Quote    Reply   

SLU00

#12 [url]

Nov 25 11 4:44 PM

First of all congrats you Mavs on moving up to the new conference! Second, although its easier said than done, and I wouldn't tackle it myself, one thing that can help Mav fans find your board is to make a blog or a website that has a "forum" link on it that would lead people here. I know it seems redundant to say use a website to help people find another website. But somehow, stand alone forums just don't show up well in search results. For example McNeese has that site Eastside Ranch or whatever it is, they post a lot of pictures and things and have a forum link that leads to their delphi board. The blog or .com site will be a lot more likely to show high in the search results. These days I don't go to the message boards much but when I want to find them again I just search eastside and mcneese which gets me to their forum and froom there I can usually find my way to the rest via posted links. Again congrats on the new conference affiliation, we will miss ya'll!

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help