Remove this ad

Duck

Maverick

Maverick

Lead

Jun 5 11 5:06 PM

Tags : :

Here is UTSA's first season schedule.
Sat, Sep 03 Northeastern State San Antonio, Texas 1 p.m.
Sat, Sep 10 McMurry San Antonio, Texas 1 p.m.
Sat, Sep 17 Southern Utah at Cedar City, Utah 7 p.m.
Sat, Sep 24 Bacone San Antonio, Texas 1 p.m.
Sat, Oct 01 Sam Houston State at Huntsville, Texas 6 p.m.
Sat, Oct 08 South Alabama San Antonio, Texas 1 p.m.
Sat, Oct 15 UC Davis at Davis, Calif. TBA
Sat, Oct 29 Georgia State San Antonio, Texas 1 p.m.
Sat, Nov 12 McNeese State at Lake Charles, La. 7 p.m.
Sat, Nov 19 Minot State San Antonio, Texas 1 p.m.

IN 2012 they will play Rice; in 2013 they will play OSU, Arizona, Houston, Rice and Virginia.
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

Duck

Maverick

#1 [url]

Jun 5 11 6:35 PM

Re: UTSA, Lamar & Southeastern La football

Lamar University Football Schedule
2011 Lamar Football Schedule
September 3, Langston College, Beaumont, Texas, 7:00 p.m.
September 10, South Alabama, Mobile, Alabama, 4:00 p.m.
September 17, Incarnate Word, Beaumont, Texas, 7:00 p.m.
September 24, Open
October 1, Southeastern Louisiana, Hammond Louisiana, T.B.A
October 8, Northwestern State, Beaumont, Texas, 6:00 p.m.
October 15, Texas State, San Marcos, Texas, T.B.A.
October 22, Central Arkansas, Beaumont, Texas, 6:00 p.m.
October 29, Sam Houston State, Huntsville, Texas, T.B.A.
November 5, Stephen F. Austin, Beaumont, Texas, 6:00 p.m.
November 12, Nicholls State, Thibodaux, Louisiana, T.B.A.
November 19, McNeese State, Beaumont, Texas, 6:00 p.m.

Quote    Reply   

Duck

Maverick

#2 [url]

Sep 5 11 7:37 PM

UTSA won its first football game, defeating Northeastern State 31-3 on Saturday.

Eric Soza threw for 237 yards and ran for 102 more, accounting for three touchdowns (2 pass/1 rush), as the Roadrunners scored on their first three possessions before an NCAA start-up program record crowd of 56,743 at the Alamodome. South Florida held the previous modern record with 49,212 on Sept. 6, 1997, against Kentucky Wesleyan.
http://www.goutsa.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=205265902&DB_OEM_ID=13100
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
This is more attendance than TCU, SMU, or UNT has had for a home game in a very long time, if ever.

THIS JUST IN FROM LAMAR:

"BEAUMONT - Braving a steady and driving rain and winds that gusted up to 30 miles an hour at times, the Lamar University Cardinals opened their 2011 season with a decisive 58-0 victory over Texas College. (Apparently, Langston was replaced by TC on the schedule.)

Although the inclement weather kept thousands of Lamar fans at home (still, the paid attendance was 15,367), the Cardinals put on an impressive performance, one that included a four-touchdown 105-yard rushing performance by Navarro College transfer DePauldrick Garrett, who starred at nearby West Orange-Stark High School,

Garrett's four touchdowns set a Lamar record, and his 24 points surpassed Harold LaFitte's 46-year-old school record of 20 set in a 1965 game against Pensacola Navy.

Also, the eight extra points booted by sophomore Justin Stout matched the school record set by Walter Smith against Mexico Poly in 1961.

Teamwise, the 58-point winning margin was the largest in school history, exceeding the 48 points by which the 1953 Cardinals outscored Mexico Poly.

The 5-foot-8, 190-pound Garrett scored on runs of 1, 2 and 1 yards, and the Cardinals also received a 2-yard TD run by Octavious Logan and a 38-yard interception return for a score by junior defensive back Adrian Guillory in the first half, alone. The 35 first-half points were six more than the one-game high last season.

Garrett scored his fourth TD of the night early in the third quarter, moments after sophomore Kye Hildreth recovered a fumbled punt by the Steers at the 7-yard line. Two plays later, Garrett gouged his way into the north end zone to break both school standards...." http://www.lamarcardinals.com/sports/m-footbl/recaps/090411aaa.html

We'll see how their attendance figures go as the season progresses. Right now, they are at least better than UNT's, despite the low caliber schedule.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
AND IN NEW ORLEANS, with an attendance of 15,912, Southeastern La. lost in a virtual track meet to Tulane.

"NEW ORLEANS – In a game that saw the two teams combined for 812 yards and 44 first downs, Tulane was too much for Southeastern Louisiana, handing the Lions a 47-33 loss in the season opener for both teams Saturday afternoon at the Louisiana Superdome.

The Lions (0-1), who had 21 players make their Southeastern debut on Saturday, dropped their season opener, despite amassing 419 total yards and 26 first downs. However, Tulane (1-0) countered with an explosive attack led by a 267-yard, three-touchdown passing performance by Ryan Griffin and a school record 213 kickoff return yards by Robert Kelley...."
http://www.lionsports.net/news/2011/9/3/FB_0903113856.aspx?path=football

Quote    Reply   

FoUTASportscaster

Maverick

#3 [url]

Oct 26 11 12:56 PM

It is really hard to compare UTSA and UTA. The family and I visited SA this weekend (which is why I didn't log on right away Ben). The level of support there is unheard of here...for any team UT, TCU whatever. There were billboards, people, lots of them, wearing t-shirts, Alamodome announcements, even the riverboat captain who did the tours on the Riverwalk mentioned them.

I would caution using them as a case study for UTA. They are in a far different environment. The WAC may actually work, football wise, if they can get a 35,000+ avergae.

Texas State, on the other hand...

Quote    Reply   

Duck

Maverick

#4 [url]

Nov 4 11 12:55 PM

True, we cannot compare UTA to those other schools, not exactly. In some ways they have an advantage, in other ways Arlington gets the nod. When Lamar got passed over for WAC membership, and we were chosen despite not having football, it started me to wondering if maybe we are undervaluing some of our strengths. Fans can be very fickle, but once we get into a solid habit of winning, we are well positioned to become a major sports attraction for our area, and because we are modestly priced, we could pick up lots of fans that can no longer afford the pro tickets.

Quote    Reply   

FoUTASportscaster

Maverick

#5 [url]

Nov 4 11 5:28 PM

While I get what your saying, I just don't know how it will work. TCU & SMU offer much cheaper options than the pro's, but they don't have a huge following either.

I think our best case scenario actually lies a decade or two from now. I feel we have to cultivate current students to be like we are, only on a larger scale. If we get a following among those on campus, then they are more likely to be active later. Then you might see the occasional T-shirt at North Park mall, like you see from SMU & TCU folks. I feel the average person with no real connection to UTA won't care much regardless of on-field results.

Quote    Reply   

UTArlingtonMaverick

#6 [url]

Nov 4 11 9:00 PM

We are in a very different situation than UTSA. I think we all know that. We are watching them with interest, of course.

I think we are doing things right. College Park Center is the biggest thing to happen to athletics - and one of the biggest things to happen for the university as a whole (in terms of a support facility). Texas Hall may have been fine in the early years, but it crippled our athletic possibilities and image. College Park Center is architecturally gorgeous and completely repositions athletics at UTA, to say nothing of broader things. People who are not keeping up with what is happening are going to very surprised when they see it. I love how it is integrated into the campus rather than positioned as some stand-alone object. What's more, it is in the exciting College Park environment, built in an urban form that will be very functional and engaging. I guarantee that other universities - and presidents of other universities - will come to UT Arlington to see this exceptional area. Others will eventually try to copy or duplicate what we are doing.

Just as one of the features, it is brilliant to incorporate a Welcome Center in this development, and right across from College Park Center. Literally thousands of people will visit the Welcome Center every year due to its placement. I predict that it will be very nice. Kudos to Dan Dipert and Mrs. Dipert for stepping up with big time financial support. This is a very public example of philanthropy for others to follow. The university continues to hit philanthropic singles and doubles that are adding up.

Athletics-wise, getting out of the Southland was a must. We will see how all this takes shape, but we are in a better position out of the Southland than in. Few take us seriously in the Southland (unjust as that is).

Now, if Pete will just get us a volleyball coach to restore credibility to that formerly marquee program.

Quote    Reply   

FoUTASportscaster

Maverick

#7 [url]

Nov 20 11 8:29 PM

UTArlingtonMaverick wrote:
Athletics-wise, getting out of the Southland was a must. We will see how all this takes shape, but we are in a better position out of the Southland than in.

For what reason? La Tech and Lamar made sweet sixteen in basketball. Baseball sees that conference in the top third. We made lots of deep runs in volleyball as SLC members. Track & Field consistently has people competing in national events.

The only "downside" is football, because they play at the I-AA level. UTA's biggest problem isn't the conference. We are near the bottom in attendence in our own conference, but not due to the SLC. We didn't field the most visible sport and we don't consistently win in men's basketball. If that doesn't change in the next few years, the WAC will look like the SLC for us, in my view.

Quote    Reply   

Duck

Maverick

#8 [url]

Mar 15 13 10:29 PM

Can you believe it? This is going to be the third year for UTSA and Lamar. Both of these teams have drawn very well.
Obviously, UTSA has gotten more done, having moved straight to FBS.

UTSA Schedule
Sat, Aug 31 New Mexico at Albuquerque, N.M. TBA
Sat, Sep 07 Oklahoma State Alamodome (San Antonio, Texas) TBA
Sat, Sep 14 Arizona at Tucson, Ariz. TBA
Sat, Sep 21 UTEP * at El Paso, Texas TBA
Sat, Sep 28 Houston Alamodome (San Antonio, Texas) TBA
Sat, Oct 05 Marshall * at Huntington, W.Va. TBA
Sat, Oct 12 Rice * Alamodome (San Antonio, Texas) TBA
Sat, Oct 26 UAB * Alamodome (San Antonio, Texas) TBA
Sat, Nov 02 Tulsa * at Tulsa, Okla. TBA
Sat, Nov 09 Tulane * Alamodome (San Antonio, Texas) TBA
Sat, Nov 23 North Texas * at Denton, Texas TBA
Sat, Nov 30 Louisiana Tech * Alamodome (San Antonio, Texas) TBA
* Conference Games

2013 LAMAR FOOTBALL SCHEDULE
Date Opponent / Event Location Time / Result

08/31/13 vs. Oklahoma Panhandle State Provost Umphrey Stadium TBA
09/07/13 at Louisiana Tech Ruston, La. TBA
09/14/13 at Oklahoma State Stillwater, Okla. TBA
09/21/13 vs. Bacone College Provost Umphrey Stadium TBA
09/28/13 at Grambling State Grambling, La. TBA
10/12/13 at Sam Houston State * Huntsville, Texas TBA
10/19/13 vs. Central Arkansas (HC) * Provost Umphrey Stadium TBA
10/26/13 at Southeastern Louisiana * Hammond, La. TBA
11/02/13 vs. Nicholls * Provost Umphrey Stadium TBA
11/09/13 at Northwestern State * Natchitoches, La. TBA
11/16/13 vs. Stephen F. Austin * Provost Umphrey Stadium TBA
11/23/13 vs. McNeese S

Quote    Reply   

UTAMavalum83

Senior

#10 [url]

Mar 16 13 12:40 PM

FoUTASportscaster wrote:
That's a pretty good non-conference schedule. Prepare for them to get reamed.

I think you may be surprised; keep in mind, they hired a great coach, have put together a decent squad - and from what I read, had a fairly good recruiting year. I predict they'll be competitive, at the very least in Cusa (IF they survive their non-con beginning).

I mean come on, UNT can't be that much better than the Roadrunners. Perhaps a bunch of us ought to go over to Apogee and root for our younger brothers in late November . . . .

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

Duck

Maverick

#11 [url]

Mar 16 13 2:20 PM

I was ticked at them for stealing our hand sign, until we stole their colors. Yes. Let's go to Apogee next Fall and see how good they are in their third season. Dang, I wish we were playing.

Quote    Reply   

FoUTASportscaster

Maverick

#12 [url]

Mar 16 13 7:10 PM

They won't win a non-conference game. The best may come against New Mexico, but being on the road, I just don't see it.
UNT is improving, but I could see that as a win. I don't think they get past 5 wins, if they even reach that.

Quote    Reply   

Duck

Maverick

#13 [url]

Mar 18 13 9:25 PM

Oh, I don't know. They may do well against UH. It's just hard to imagine them coming from nothing just three or four years ago, and now going into a full season of FBS. I'm sure they will surpass the likes of NMSU and UNT in no time.

Quote    Reply   

Duck

Maverick

#15 [url]

Mar 19 13 9:40 PM

It can happen here too. I noticed that the OU crowd was mostly from Arlington, and the Senior Day/USU crowd of almost 5,000 was likewise almost entirely from Arlington. We can generate significant numbers, especially if we can finally start to get the students on board. What makes me sick is that most of the students there, the band, athletes, cheerleaders and dancers are being paid.

Quote    Reply   

FoUTASportscaster

Maverick

#17 [url]

Jul 13 13 6:51 AM

They are a member of the NAIA, albeit DI there. However, were UTA in anything but NCAA DI, we'd have football too.

Quote    Reply   

Duck

Maverick

#18 [url]

Jul 13 13 7:47 AM

[quote]They are a member of the NAIA, albeit DI there. However, were UTA in anything but NCAA DI, we'd have football too.
I wonder. One of my friends was president at OBU for ten years, before the current leaders there. We were talking about whether or not he had tried to get football during his tenure. The parallels with UTA's situation were interesting. During his years there, they had 16 varsity sports, NAIA as you say.

He felt football would have been too big a challenge to take on at that time, and he decided not to pursue it. So they concentrated on upgrading facilities and making improvements around the edges. When they put in a new track at the on-campus stadium, they made sure there was room for a football field and bleachers to be added in the event of football coming later.

He agreed with me that football is a tremendous generator of interest and alumni support, but that it is hard to quantify the costs versus benefits in dollars and cents, and it's just a matter of opinion to what degree the sport "pays for itself." Interestingly, he said you just don't know about that alumnus who is sitting on his checkbook who might stroke a big check to the University because of football. (That, by the way, is what happened at Lamar and most other recent football start-ups.) With the exception of those specific gifts though, when overall alumni giving increases and enrollment grows, it is unlikely it will show up on a spreadsheet to prove that football has earned a profit. (My opinion.)

For a small church school like OBU to be taking on NAIA football is probably just as big a challenge to them as it would be for us to go D-1. And after 73 years, my hat is off to them for having the courage to give it a go. If you haven't gone there yet, take a look at their video. It's pretty cool.

Quote    Reply   

FoUTASportscaster

Maverick

#19 [url]

Jul 13 13 3:19 PM

I didn't say it was no challenge, but rather easier to do. Landing a man on Mars is easier than landing on moon of Saturn, but...well you get it.

NAIA, cost-wise, is roughly the equivalent to the NCAA's DII. I am confident we could do that. However, either DI classification has more moving parts and a much greater cost associated with it.

Quote    Reply   

Duck

Maverick

#20 [url]

Jul 17 13 6:45 PM

https://www.facebook.com/TexasArlingtonFootball
Have a look at this site. If each of us can invite a few friends to link up, we should be able to get this ball rolling! I feel like we have built good momentum by bringing basketball, baseball and the other sports up to an habitually competitive level, and by continually upgrading the facilities. After getting the CPC and having a successful WAC experience, joining the Sun Belt was a good additional step in the right direction.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help