Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

mav91

Alumni

#1 [url]

Mar 5 11 5:31 PM

Re: First Opponent in the New Arena

I think it will be probably be a non-Division I school like Texas Wesleyan, but also depending on when it opens, it could also be nearly conference play before the building opens up which might make scheduling a Conf. USA team or whatever kinda tough. And it seems like a lot of non-Div. I teams start conference play like mid december if I recall. Assuming what I read somewhere is true and the UNT game may be part of a 2 or 3-game special event at the AAC next year (like Texas Tech or A&M or somebody is playing one of their almost-annual games in Dallas), then I'll say TCU Dec. 22. Just a guess but they would bring a nice crowd (close to a sellout if they bring 1000 or 2000 fans). It would also be a real good chance for a win since TCU is still rebuilding and our team could be pretty good next year. I could also see Baylor playing here. If it was part of the first game in the SEC, maybe they'd play for a reduced guarantee? I have no clue, but whoever the first opponent is would get a lot of mentions in the news and interviews because there will be a lot of media coverage I'd think.

Quote    Reply   

grumpdogg

Senior

#2 [url]

Mar 8 11 12:22 PM

mav91 wrote:
I think it will be probably be a non-Division I school like Texas Wesleyan, but also depending on when it opens, it could also be nearly conference play before the building opens up which might make scheduling a Conf. USA team or whatever kinda tough. And it seems like a lot of non-Div. I teams start conference play like mid december if I recall. Assuming what I read somewhere is true and the UNT game may be part of a 2 or 3-game special event at the AAC next year (like Texas Tech or A&M or somebody is playing one of their almost-annual games in Dallas), then I'll say TCU Dec. 22. Just a guess but they would bring a nice crowd (close to a sellout if they bring 1000 or 2000 fans). It would also be a real good chance for a win since TCU is still rebuilding and our team could be pretty good next year. I could also see Baylor playing here. If it was part of the first game in the SEC, maybe they'd play for a reduced guarantee? I have no clue, but whoever the first opponent is would get a lot of mentions in the news and interviews because there will be a lot of media coverage I'd think.

I'd be surprised if it is TCU. According to Coach Cross, the current TCU coach refuses to even schedule a game at their place so I doubt they will come to Arlington. With the center opening in late December I would think it was more likely for us to play against a team like UTPA that doesn't start it's conference games until later.

Quote    Reply   

Duck

Maverick

#3 [url]

Mar 8 11 6:28 PM

I hate to sound paranoid, and I'm sure there is no conspiracy involved, but we have never gotten respect from the media or very much coverage, even when we had a hometown paper. Even The Shorthorn usually fails to cover UTA athletics or promote the teams with very much enthusiasm. Even so, we should have a pretty good splash for the opening game, and it would be nice if we scheduled a team that we could beat, yet would bring a good crowd. Thus, it would be good to have TWU or Dallas Baptist, assuming we can win those match-ups.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

grumpdogg

Senior

#4 [url]

Mar 8 11 11:18 PM

I actually think next year's team will have much more success. They showed their youth this year with the number of games where they had big leagues, but could not finish out the game. I think next year we will win at least half of the games where we are in that scenario. I wouldn't be surprised to see us have a 20-win season and win the conference regular season.

Quote    Reply   

GiantBenMav

Alumni

#6 [url]

Nov 29 12 8:20 PM

it was a good call, wasn't it

Buddy Christ Says: Go Mavs !!!

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply