Remove this ad

UTAPRC

Senior

#41 [url]

Feb 18 16 9:59 PM

Thanks to the basketball gods for a late 3 by Jalen Jones for the win in OT over Louisiana.. 84-83. Mavs win 4 straight. Another big test on Saturday vs ULM. Deng torched us from 3 last time.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

grumpdogg

Senior

#42 [url]

Feb 19 16 5:49 PM

UTAPRC wrote:
Thanks to the basketball gods for a late 3 by Jalen Jones for the win in OT over Louisiana.. 84-83. Mavs win 4 straight. Another big test on Saturday vs ULM. Deng torched us from 3 last time.

That was an emotional win. Can't even explain the feeling I had when that ball fell in the basket.

Quote    Reply   

Duck

Maverick

#43 [url]

Feb 19 16 10:24 PM

My schedule prevents me from going on Thursday nights, but my friend Tom says the student section was very involved, and deserve some credit for the win. Is this true?

Quote    Reply   

FoUTASportscaster

Maverick

#44 [url]

Feb 20 16 12:56 PM

The UTA student section has turned into a force the last two-three years. It has been spotty since I was a student, but has generally been awesome lately.

​As for tonight. I have a good hope the defense will play better. I think they have confidence that didn't exist as they tried to figure out life past Hervey when we met in Monroe.

Quote    Reply   

grumpdogg

Senior

#45 [url]

Feb 22 16 9:07 AM

Tough loss to ULM, but I expected their to be a bit of a letdown after the big win over Louisiana on Thursday. I really don't think we played poorly, but we just couldn't seem to hit many of the open shots we had. That's the downside of having to rely on jump shots to win. When they aren't falling you normally lose.

Big games this week with Little Rock and Arkansas State. I'll be making the trek down to Jonesboro from St. Louis for the Arkansas State game. Look for me on the broadcast as I'm sure I will be theo only guy in blue haha.

Quote    Reply   

FoUTASportscaster

Maverick

#46 [url]

Feb 24 16 9:15 AM

I'm better with losing when it comes in a competitive game. Three (and really the first half against Little Rock) of the losses in that four -game slide were bad losses where it looked like they expected the other team to play them softer.

Quote    Reply   

UTAPRC

Senior

#47 [url]

Feb 25 16 9:44 PM

Mavs lose to Little Rock 72-60..we were at least competitive, played well at times. All of the points are tough to come by. Almost like timely hitting in baseball. It's tough to watch after seeing how well we played earlier in the season.. keeps you wondering what if..

Quote    Reply   

mav91

Alumni

#49 [url]

Feb 29 16 10:44 PM

this year is basically a 30-game dress rehearsal for next season. 21-24 wins without Hervey for a full season. They got a good point guard in this signing class, will probably sign a center with the second scholarship, and could win 20-25 next season.

Will be interesting to see who is on our schedule next season. Does RPI become a factor--do you now schedule an extra major guarantee game or two beyond the usual 3 or 4 really big schools (Texas, Oklahoma, Michigan, Kansas, etc.) and try to get a win on the road against a top-50 or top 30 team? Are we in the position to turn down game requests because of RPI concerns? Or do you schedule just 3 guarantee games and then 4-6 200-300 RPI schools and go for a 25-28 win season? Wow I am assuming everything goes perfect with those win totals. 

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

UTAPRC

Senior

#50 [url]

Mar 3 16 9:21 AM

I believe it does become a factor.. and hopefully we finish inside the top 100. To me, that sounds more enticing for a big name school to want to play us, because they can potentially gain rpi standing from a win vs UTA. Now will they play at CPC? I doubt it unless the money is right. From what I'm seeing, it's almost as if play top 50 or top 25 schools, a loss is better than deafeating a sub 200 team. Our losses to sub 200 team this year really hurt our RPI.  If Hevery can return to the same form as what he was this year, I say we go for 1 or 2 top 25 , and a top 100 team. Other than that, I don't think we are position to negotiate well unless we have the cash flow to bring  in a team to CPC.

I came across this interesting read about the NCAA tournament and RPI:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/sports/wp/2016/03/02/march-madness-what-the-2016-ncaa-tournament-bubble-really-looks-like/ 

I had to read these two items, twice:
• Teams with RPI rankings of 1-30 are locks. 
• Major-conference teams with RPI rankings of 31-50 are virtual locks.

In order for UTA to get an at large bid, we would need to finish in the top 30, that is dang near undefeated.  If we were in the Big 12, and finished rpi of 50 , let's say with a record of..18-12, then we are in.

Last Edited By: UTAPRC Mar 3 16 11:19 AM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

mav91

Alumni

#52 [url]

Mar 3 16 11:21 PM

They play very well on their home court.

I could be wrong, but isn't Boone a tough place to travel to? Like teams have to fly in to somewhere and it's still like a 2 or 3 hour bus ride?

Quote    Reply   

UTAPRC

Senior

#53 [url]

Mar 4 16 8:50 AM

Yes, from what I have read I think you are right. It's a rough time to get out there, and also maybe the elevation has something to do with it.

Quote    Reply   

UTAPRC

Senior

#54 [url]

Mar 4 16 8:53 AM

This is an interesting tool... You can simulate season records by changing wins / losses.
http://www.rpiforecast.com/wizard/UT%20Arlington.html

For grins, change the away losses to South Alabama and GASO to wins. That puts us back at an 80 RPI.

Even better.. change those losses to wins, and the home loss to ULM to a W, gives us a 69 RPI. I know those still aren't good enough for an at large bit to the NCAA tournament, but maybe an at large to the NIT.

Quote    Reply   

FoUTASportscaster

Maverick

#55 [url]

Mar 7 16 7:09 PM

RPI isn't the only factor. Who you beat and who you lost to matter as much or more, and that get reflected in RPI.

​If UTA had the nonconference they did, and have no bad losses in the SBC, then they'd be in.

Quote    Reply   

FoUTASportscaster

Maverick

#56 [url]

Mar 7 16 7:19 PM

It would also help if more than Little Rock or UTA had a decent non-conference showing. If either Louisiana school won 2-4 more OOC games, then our RPI is better, win or lose.

Quote    Reply   

UTAPRC

Senior

#57 [url]

Mar 12 16 10:44 PM

I'm feeling sad for the Mavs... while watching SFA earning another auto bid to the NCAA tournament. I'm hoping UTA willl earn a post season bid somewhere , and gain some experience for next year. UTA is seriously missing some length... Unfortunately, Wilson rolled his ankle and missed the second half.. Ugh... to injuries.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help