Remove this ad

Duck

Maverick

Maverick

Lead

Jun 21 14 7:57 AM

Tags : :

I noticed recently that UTA President Karbhari was asked how soon UTA would get NCAA football.*  He gets asked that a lot, and perhaps he was showing some impatience when he replied that UTA sponsors many athletic teams in several sports, and that until the students and fans start to show greater support for those other sports, like basketball, volleyball, baseball and softball, he sees little sense in adding another sport like football.

Initially I felt this was just another repetition of the “eat your damn peas!” cliché’ we have been hearing for years.  Then it occurred to me that maybe he really means it.  Perhaps if attendance in the grandstand sports were to surge, maybe President Karbhari and the other UTA leaders would feel motivated to work on giving football a chance.

Quite apart from the question of fans “earning” football at UTA, there are compelling reasons for us to add football.  As Fall activities go, UTA is a bridesmaid, having only volleyball and a few non-spectator sports to occupy the semester, while our neighbors at UNT, TCU, SMU and even Tarleton State get to participate in the excitement of Saturday football games.  For alumni and UTA neighbors, there is a huge opportunity being squandered to open this “window” of participation whereby they can become UTA Mavericks fans by attending football games.  The visibility and opportunities to bring favor and development to the campus are simply being wasted.

But putting all these arguments aside, I would like to focus on the essential question that is raised.

Assuming the president is serious, how much of a quantifiable increase in attendance at the existing athletic events is needed?

It would make sense to set specific goals.  For example, UTA’s average attendance at men’s basketball games in 2013 was 1968.  Texas State, one of our peer universities, had 1702 average attendance in 2013. The Sun Belt average was 2924. ** 

What would be an appropriate attendance goal in this and our other grandstand sports to put us on the threshold of football?

Setting achievable attendance goals with a potential reward of football in the near future would motivate and energize students, alumni and community supporters.  I hope the President, AD and other campus leaders will give this suggestion some serious thought.

*(http://www.theshorthorn.com/news/president-answers-football-question-at-q-and-a/article_25d09540-419f-11e3-b794-0019bb30f31a.html?mode=jqm)

Q: A student suggested that adding football to campus athletics would bring more revenue to UTA. (President Karhari’s answer)      A: Beginning a football program would be very costly and force students to pay more in tuition and fees, Karbhari said. Students should be supporting the teams UTA currently has, he said. “Until we completely support our current teams, until we make sure we’re there at all of their games, until we make sure that we really cheer them on, because when they play, they play for us, it’s hardly appropriate for us to start a new team until all these teams are completely supported,” Karbhari said.

**(http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/m_basketball_RB/Reports/attend/2013.pdf)
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

UTAPRC

Senior

#1 [url]

Jun 23 14 6:33 AM

I would like to say between 3-4K average attendance.

Definitely more all sports pass, and season ticket holders are needed.

More wins by all teams and bids into their respective NCAA tournaments are needed to keep the buzz going.

However, I bet if some mystery donors came forward to cover the start up costs, we would have football tomorrow :)

Quote    Reply   

Duck

Maverick

#2 [url]

Jun 24 14 2:16 PM

Mystery Donors

That sounds like an achievable goal, although it exceeds the attendance of many football schools last year.

As for startup costs, at this point our leaders don't appear to want to start up.  I don't think they are asking for startup support or funds.  If they were asking for startup support, chances are pretty good they would get lots of support and funds.  UTA has repeatedly chosen to spend discretionary money on other things, such as the faculty lounge, so money is not the only issue.

If UTA supporters were given specific goals in terms of attendance at games or other things like numbers of Mavericks Club memberships, it could possibly sway our leaders' opinions away from the Neddermanesque view that the UTA nation has no interest in athletics and that resurrecting football would just re-open a bleeding financial sore.

Perhaps that notion had some validity during the three decades during which UTA was primarily a commuter school. (For example, no new dorms between 1964 and the late 1990's were built).

Sorry, that's just me preaching to the choir.

Quote    Reply   

Duck

Maverick

#4 [url]

Jul 22 14 12:01 PM

Okay. It has been a month and nobody has yet spelled out how much our average attendance at men's basketball needs to be. Someone please call President K.

Quote    Reply   

Duck

Maverick

#5 [url]

Jan 8 16 10:35 PM

As the Mavs win and the Attendance Increases....

What is our home attendance average right now??? I would guess  that we are in the 3 to 4 thousand average range. It would be higher if we would eschew scheduling home games against D-3 teams during the holidays.  It's too bad we can't get a home and home with UNT Each Year.  We and they could both use the ticket sales, don't you think?

Last Edited By: Duck Jan 9 16 2:36 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

grumpdogg

Senior

#6 [url]

Jan 19 16 3:10 PM

I'm getting a little concerned with our lack of football. It is pretty clear that college football is going to drive at least one more realignment and I could see our lack of a team keeping us on the outside looking in. Would it be possible for us to bring football back in FCS and not FBS?

Quote    Reply   

FoUTASportscaster

Maverick

#7 [url]

Jan 19 16 3:56 PM

Average attendance is 2,9and change. Most in a season ever at UTA is in the 2,200's.

My hope is with top teams in the SBC coming to CPC the first week of the semester, it'll be above that. this time next week.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

Duck

Maverick

#8 [url]

Jan 19 16 9:42 PM

grumpdogg wrote:
I'm getting a little concerned with our lack of football. It is pretty clear that college football is going to drive at least one more realignment and I could see our lack of a team keeping us on the outside looking in. Would it be possible for us to bring football back in FCS and not FBS?

Yes, I suppose we could follow the precedent set by other programs, but such a long transition is allowed, we might just as well set sights on FBS.  I'm sure the Belt would be veryhappy to see us finally commit.

Quote    Reply   

FoUTASportscaster

Maverick

#9 [url]

Jan 21 16 2:13 PM

It will be an FBS team. We'll do what UTSA did and go from the starting line with eyes on that. Unlike UTSA, we are already in an FBS conference.

If we were content with just starting a team in FCS, Maverick Stadium would not cause so much angst.

Quote    Reply   

Duck

Maverick

#10 [url]

Jan 21 16 11:00 PM

Maverick Stadium parking causes me some anxiety, but the overall challenge is not insurmountable.  The hard part is still convincing the authorities that the seats will be filled.

Quote    Reply   

Duck

Maverick

#13 [url]

Feb 7 16 11:55 PM

Texas Wesleyan too

I'm losing count of all the schools that have started up football programs or moved up to D1 in the last ten years.  Now it is TWU that will resume football after 75 years.  I wonder if there will be any other non-football schools left for us to play club football with, if that is ever attempted again.  Who next?  DBU?  TAMUCC?  UALR?  UNO?  It's getting embarrassing.  

By the way,  did you notice the polite smattering of applause when they introduced Nedderman at our last home game?  Maybe people have forgotten his role in killing FB at UTA in 1985. 

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help