Remove this ad

hooch

Senior

Lead

Mar 28 14 9:45 AM

Tags : :

http://www.star-telegram.com/2014/03/26/5683820/college-park-district-still-a.html

This is a solid read about the failings of the CPD and Center itself.
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

UTAPRC

Senior

#1 [url]

Mar 28 14 11:24 AM

Re: Great read!

Good read. I still think it's an awesome development, a whole lot more than what I had way back when in '06. I still don't completely understand why folks, especially the student body, don't make it out there.

One thing that irks me is when UTA basketball plays on ESPN3, or baseball on Fox Sports, none of the restaurants show the games. There may be logistics and fees involved that I know nothing about. Earlier this year when we played TCU on Fox Sports Southwest, I walked into Blaze's , probably about the 2nd inning, and NO game to be found on the tvs.. In my head I thought 'HELLO, can I get the game PLEASE?' I requested they put the game on and they gracefully put it on all the tv's, but I was just thinking, what the heck?

How come nobody 'tailgates' at the Green at College Park?

I understand UTA is the working man's university, and nobody has time for that and they get stuff (school work) done. I'm cool with that 100%.

Ugh.. sorry, ok I'm rambling now. Thoughts?

Quote    Reply   

hooch

#2 [url]

Mar 28 14 12:20 PM

To me, the entire project reeks of two different avenues the university is trying to go down. As if the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing.

It wants to be a Tier 1, research institution, which I believe is admirable. But If you're striving for that, you cannot reasonably think there's going to be a lot of students who will drop everything to head to the district.

Inversely, UTA also wants to draw greater awareness to its burgeoning athletics program with a "build it and they will come" mentality. How? Who? The same non-existent fan base that "packed" the Hall?

You have a huge point about Blaze's. First off, it's a terrible place. From the service to the food, its not worth the time. Secondly, how the hell can the team from which is its namesake is drawn not be shown on at least one of its TVs?

The entire thing, in the first two years, has been a giant cluster-f, IMO. It has been poorly marketed and poorly used, aside from Fight Night, UTA vs. OU/UTSA/Oral Roberts.

Quote    Reply   

UTArlingtonMaverick

#3 [url]

Mar 28 14 7:32 PM

Wow. Hooch, you are pretty extreme, it seems to me. Harsh.

CPC, while not nearly as full as it should be, is a tremendous amenity and what our teams deserve.

I wondered at the beginning if all those restaurants would make it. There were too many. The retail mix, I think, has to be adjusted. I do think the pie five is a big commercial success.

Also, the downtown area is still building up. As it develops things will likely pick up in CPD. The new high quality, dense residential units will be a big plus. Every 12 months one can look back at something new being planned or coming online. The trend line is definitely up. Commercially, I think CPD just got out front a bit on the time line.

Quote    Reply   

UTArlingtonMaverick

#4 [url]

Mar 28 14 7:35 PM

hooch wrote:
To me, the entire project reeks of two different avenues the university is trying to go down. As if the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing.

It wants to be a Tier 1, research institution, which I believe is admirable. But If you're striving for that, you cannot reasonably think there's going to be a lot of students who will drop everything to head to the district.

Inversely, UTA also wants to draw greater awareness to its burgeoning athletics program with a "build it and they will come" mentality. How? Who? The same non-existent fan base that "packed" the Hall?

You have a huge point about Blaze's. First off, it's a terrible place. From the service to the food, its not worth the time. Secondly, how the hell can the team from which is its namesake is drawn not be shown on at least one of its TVs?

The entire thing, in the first two years, has been a giant cluster-f, IMO. It has been poorly marketed and poorly used, aside from Fight Night, UTA vs. OU/UTSA/Oral Roberts.

You left out vs. Utah State. Big, loud crowd. So, I think we agree there have been a number of notable successes.

Quote    Reply   

FoUTASportscaster

Maverick

#5 [url]

Mar 29 14 2:37 PM

The attendance at CPC is irrelevant, though by my count there have been 7 men's games to top 4,000 and seven of the top ten attended men's basketball games have come since CPC opened. The last three years are in the top five average attended seasons in UTA men's basketball history. And it is directly because of CPC.

The problem with College Park is something I said in another thread years ago, I looked for it, but couldn't find it (I remember arguing with 80sAlum about Levitt Pavilion). You can't build an area around an entertainment venue that is active at nights at sporadic times of the year. Most restaurants are opened 365 days a year and these entertainment venues see at most 100 active nights a year, with occasional day things. In vibrant areas there are draws at all hours of the day, most (usually all) days of the week.

The article really touched on some issues that are suppressing activity during the day, like the dorms requiring residents to buy the dining option at University Hall. But, the area has to develop organically and for decades, the City neglected its urban core. There has to be far more residential units and office space in the downtown area, and it almost has to be within 1/4 to 1/2 mile of CP to make it work. Without active human presence, it compounds the issue.

Finally, I think there are too many parking issues that compound the presence of dead zones. While I do like the ground floor retail occupying the base of the garage, there are too many dead zones and pedestrian conflict points to create a free-flowing, contiguous pedestrian experience. The garage also funnels much of the pedestrian activity into the interior, instead of on the streets, which is another reason why the restaurants have struggled. Many who do use the garages never walk by the retail spaces.

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help