Remove this ad

Duck

Maverick

Maverick

Lead

Nov 8 13 5:15 PM

Tags : :

Does anyone have solid information regarding why UTA has dropped the so-called spirit logo (the "walking A"). On the Alumni Association web page it even says we are not to use it, and the "New Official Ring" was redesigned to have the block A in place of the former spirit logo A. Is it a copyright issue or could it be something more sinister? Sometimes UTA does really stupid things, like going orange or coming out with a horse head that is virtually identical to the one used by Boise State. Could it be that when Clay Gould adapted the USA logo from the Olympic Games, changing the S to a T, that he somehow set us on a course that ran afoul of the copyrights of others? Just wondering.....

http://utaalumni.org/s/1379/social.aspx?sid=1379&gid=1&pgid=408
[quote]For anyone that wants to trade in their previously purchased ring for one with the new design on top, please contact Balfour at 1-866-225-3687. Gold rings can be remade with the new logo for $125 and silver rings can be remade for $100. This offer is available until January 31. At the request of the University, the Alumni Association, Athletics and other departments on campus have been asked to stop using the UTA spirit logo.
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

FoUTASportscaster

Maverick

#3 [url]

Jan 4 14 9:07 AM

Re: Logos, Tunes, Traditions, Colors, School Spirit

I don't know why anyone would want to spend $100 or more to do it. Even if it is such a bad logo, it was the logo when they were in school. Trying to erase history isn't going to make it go away.

Quote    Reply   

hooch

#4 [url]

Jan 4 14 11:17 PM

From what I understand, the spirit logo is no longer part of the university's branding. They're offering this in case people want to stay current along with the school.

And as a side note, you guys really need to get over the orange thing. It happened, its not changing and its time to move on about it.

Quote    Reply   

UTArlingtonMaverick

#5 [url]

Jan 5 14 11:13 AM

I never liked that spirit logo, and wondered when it came out as to why they were doing it. It just seemed to confuse the message.

Hooch, they won't get over it, but I agree with you entirely.

Quote    Reply   

Duck

Maverick

#6 [url]

Jan 5 14 4:31 PM

[quote]And as a side note, you guys really need to get over the orange thing. It happened, its not changing and its time to move on about it.It's okay Hooch. I never respected your opinions anyway.

Quote    Reply   

FoUTASportscaster

Maverick

#7 [url]

Jan 6 14 3:04 PM

I just don't get why so many are okay with the UT System running roughshod over our history. It's like they want us to be UT-Almost.

Again, trying to do the same thing at UT would result in a revolt by near everyone involved. I'd even be okay if there was a student vote or action by the student congress, something that reflected input from someone excluding the higher ups within the U and not some mandate from an outside entity. I have been in the minority before and can admit if it is against the greater will. However, this just smacks of top down governance without input.

Remember, UTA was once part of the A&M system. Back then, the students were more passionate about their school. They tried to do similar things to showcase the awesomeness of the Flagship school and the students, not anyone else, pioneered the drive to get UTA out. Today, the students just turn the other cheek and say thank you may I have another.

Quote    Reply   

Duck

Maverick

#8 [url]

Jan 6 14 3:30 PM

You are wise beyond your years. Orange is a totally unnecessary affront to our school that was foisted upon us by the then-outgoing Chancellor of the UT System, Mark Yudof. We had happily existed in the Texas system for over five decades using our own colors before this gratuitous insult occurred. Let's not allow others to go back and revise history to somehow justify such an eggregious defecation upon our colors.

Sorry, I get over-formal when offended.

Quote    Reply   

hooch

#9 [url]

Jan 6 14 3:43 PM

Duck wrote:
It's okay Hooch. I never respected your opinions anyway.

Seems a bit unnecessary.

Quote    Reply   

Duck

Maverick

#10 [url]

Jan 6 14 4:51 PM

Hooch, I appreciate that you have stimulated interest in the conversation.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

FoUTASportscaster

Maverick

#11 [url]

Jan 6 14 7:40 PM

hooch wrote:
Duck wrote:

Seems a bit unnecessary.

Have you seen his facebook page? This was downright polite compared to some on their. And he did add a smilie.

Quote    Reply   

Duck

Maverick

#12 [url]

Jan 8 14 8:57 PM

[quote]I just don't get why so many are okay with the UT System running roughshod over our history. It's like they want us to be UT-Almost.

Again, trying to do the same thing at UT would result in a revolt by near everyone involved. I'd even be okay if there was a student vote or action by the student congress, something that reflected input from someone excluding the higher ups within the U and not some mandate from an outside entity. I have been in the minority before and can admit if it is against the greater will. However, this just smacks of top down governance without input.

Remember, UTA was once part of the A&M system. Back then, the students were more passionate about their school. They tried to do similar things to showcase the awesomeness of the Flagship school and the students, not anyone else, pioneered the drive to get UTA out. Today, the students just turn the other cheek and say thank you may I have another.Face it Fo, you and I are the odd ones. We actually care about UTA, which puts us into a minuscule minority. I found it to be almost exclusively athletes and others who were very active on campus. As a sportscaster you traveled to away games and got close to athletes, coaches and administrators. As an athlete, I did as well.

Most of the other students I knew in school were pretty much indifferent to school activities, school spirit and athletics. I guess the low point for me was about ten years ago when there were so many "UTAlmost" majors, students who hoped to make the grades to qualify for transfer to the "mother" campus. As if UTA were not good enough.

Forget that! I've mentioned it before, but I like to repeat myself at this age. I was accepted to Texas but chose to come to Arlington.

Quote    Reply   

UTArlingtonMaverick

#13 [url]

Jan 8 14 9:21 PM

I am not quite so pessimistic, but I do count myself, an orange-approver, as with you in that "minority." I think other large urban non-flagships around the country are mostly like us in the school devotion intensity rating. In any case, many many love the university, but it does not always manifest itself by way of athletics.

Btw, the cap program (transfers to ut Austin) only has a few hundred in it. It is not large at all, but we do get good students from it who decide to stay here once they get a taste of the good life at UTA. We do it only because it benefits us.

Quote    Reply   

FoUTASportscaster

Maverick

#14 [url]

Jan 9 14 7:07 AM

I get what you are saying that some love UTA without supporting the athletic program. I hung put with a lot of folks at UTA who liked the school and had never been to a game. However, that is the case elsewhere too where they still draw more. Outside of measuring member of the Alumni group, attendance at sporting events is the bet way to gauge interest.

However, there is no denying UTA is full of people who go there to get a degree and leave, not making any connection with the U, while simultaneously rooting for another school when it actually comes to athletics.

Quote    Reply   

Duck

Maverick

#15 [url]

Jan 9 14 4:14 PM

Public Apology

FoUTASportscaster wrote:
hooch wrote:
Duck wrote:

Seems a bit unnecessary.

Have you seen his facebook page? This was downright polite compared to some on their. And he did add a smilie.

Sorry Hooch. I repent. Your opinion is just as valid as any others around here. Hope you will be okay now.

Quote    Reply   

UTArlingtonMaverick

#16 [url]

Jan 9 14 7:19 PM

Maybe I am wrong, but I am guessing our athletic attendance is not that much different from peers like Wisconsin-Milwaukee, flor Atlantic, fl int, uc Santa Cruz, uc irvine. Of course, as run amuck pointed out else where, our people do turn out for athletics in large numbers for more interesting opponents....seen it in men's basketball and baseball. The mcneese states of the world have never been a help.

Do we have room for improvement and can we do better in athletic attendance?
Obviously

However, most of the people I know who care deeply about the university, and that number is significant, don't go to our athletic contests.

Quote    Reply   

80sAlum

Alumni

#17 [url]

Jan 10 14 9:11 AM

Most folks aren't going to support athletics year after year when losing is mostly the result. Gotta start winning consistently and making the playoffs for several years before band waggoners jump on...just sayin'.

Quote    Reply   

FoUTASportscaster

Maverick

#18 [url]

Jan 10 14 1:06 PM

Basketball has won 43 games the previous two complete seasons and made the postseason.

That said, we were 7-8 at home last year and 5-3 this year. That has to get better.

Quote    Reply   

80sAlum

Alumni

#19 [url]

Jan 10 14 5:15 PM

Gotta win some of those Texas and Oklahoma type games to garner some excitement.

Quote    Reply   

Duck

Maverick

#20 [url]

Jan 11 14 3:28 PM

Speaking of logos, I'm ready to see the old "split T" design again.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help