Remove this ad

Duck

Maverick

#21 [url]

Nov 27 13 10:30 PM

Re: Blogging

[quote]I had a good chance to talk to the current President at a couple of athletic functions this year. He is very much receptive to the idea and has said that if someone gives him the money, he would add it now. As it is, he is very much like me and wants it down right and not at the expense of any other sport. While we had football, we were the Nicholls State of the conference. I can't stand losing so if we are going to field a sport, let's field it to win it.

I wonder if all he needs is the start-up money. If President K were to announce that he would be ready to go as soon as we have a certain amount, and perhaps a new student referendum granting $5 per semester hour additional to the athletics fee, I'm sure the fans, students and alums would get mobilized in a hurry. Or, as we have discussed in the past, he could do it as SLU did and set up a fundraising goal as part of a capital campaign.

[quote]I'm going to question that number. We have a budget that is roughly $10 million with 14 sports. Arkansas State's budget is roughly $14 million for 16 sports.
So true, and well said.

Another factor, in addition to the growth of enrollment that you mentioned, we should also take notice of the greatly enhanced infrastructure which we now have. Since 2005 we have seen construction at CPC, the Baseball and Softball complex, and upgrades at Maverick Stadium. These investments have to some degree addressed facilities requirements that were mentioned in the Neinas report.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

UTArlingtonMaverick

#22 [url]

Dec 11 13 9:49 PM

FoUTASportscaster wrote:
UTArlingtonMaverick wrote:
Fo, I love that statement by Pres K. Friendly, optimistic, and good humor.

FYI UNT contributes $8 million per year from institutional funds for operations (which is on top of student fees, gifts, athletic revenue, etc.) that is in the typical range for a have-not and about what we would need to do to play at the 1a level.

I'm going to question that number. We have a budget that is roughly $10 million with 14 sports. Arkansas State's budget is roughly $14 million for 16 sports.

Well, I didn't say a university could not get by with less, but unT puts in about $8 million from institutional funds. I didn't pull that number out of the air. The following is from a presentation their president made to their BOR at the September 17, 2013, regents meeting. This is 2014 Budgeted Revenue (or cash inflows) and is in millions. Their president actually asked for more than this, and didn't get it all. He is trying to get to the Conf USA average, from what I read. Don't ask me how "capital improvements" is a revenue generator, but some of the smaller categories can probably be understood, e.g., "Advancement" is gifts, "Facilities" could be rental income. The big numbers are what is most significant.

Student Athletic Fee $8.1
Facilities $0.13
Operations $0.08
Administration $0.05
Capital Improvements $0.7
Marketing and Promotions $1.538
Advancement $0.925
Student Service Fees $2.8
NCAA/Conference USA $1.750
Concessions $0.538
Men's basketball $0.647
Woman's basketball $0.059
Football $2.825
All other sports $0.072
Institutional Funding $8.321

If I input this correctly, it adds up to $28.5 million
So, even after the students pay significant athletic fees and student service fees directed to athletics, the university still has to come up with $8.3 million every year, and growing. (BTW, did anyone see the recent articles about people on the unT campus being up in arms about the $1.5 million cut back their library is facing?)

Quote    Reply   

FoUTASportscaster

Maverick

#23 [url]

Dec 12 13 7:12 AM

I didn't question your numbers for UNT. The part I questioned was...

[quote] that is in the typical range for a have-not and about what we would need to do to play at the 1a level.

In my opinion, UNT is in way over their heads trying to play at a level the can't compete in. Building athletic venues with student fees is a perfect example. If the U can't afford it in typical ways, then laying it on the students shows that.

However, I don't think that applies here. The most expensive football program in the Sun Belt comes from South Alabama at just over $6 million. Most aren't much above $5 with ULM lower than $3. My point is that even if we brought the sport back and every single bit of it was paid for institutional funds (which it wouldn't because we would have ticket revenue, guarantee games and various other sources of funding) we wouldn't get near $8 million in institutional funds.

UNT is an anomaly and they always have. They almost dropped the sport in the early '80's because Hayden Fry racked up so much debt in trying to make the program something it wasn't. It doesn't look like the culture has changed much.

Quote    Reply   

Duck

Maverick

#24 [url]

Dec 12 13 9:32 PM

[quote]The most expensive football program in the Sun Belt comes from South Alabama at just over $6 million. Most aren't much above $5 with ULM lower than $3. My point is that even if we brought the sport back and every single bit of it was paid for institutional funds (which it wouldn't because we would have ticket revenue, guarantee games and various other sources of funding) we wouldn't get near $8 million in institutional funds.
As I recall, our club football team beat SA, and now SA has a team that knocked the LaLa Ragin' Cajuns out of clinching the SB championship.

Fo, your remarks make sense to me, and yes, UNT is an anomaly. Call me crazy, but I really do not think we have a very tall hill to climb financially. Once we get started, we should have plenty of money coming in from student fees alone to carry the program, and that is without us raping the students the way UNT did to build their new stadium.

The key will be getting the go-ahead to start raising funds for start-up. After the decision is made, I predict that we will have a huge groundswell of support.

Quote    Reply   

UTAPRC

Senior

#30 [url]

Oct 8 14 8:47 AM

FO... all good reads, thanks for putting this together.

Last night, there was some band event going on at Maverick Stadium.  I could clearly hear the marching band playing some music, and I thought to myself 'hmm, I guess this is what it would sound like if we had a football team."  :(

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help