Maverick

Maverick

Lead

Sep 2 13 6:45 AM

Tags : :

I thought it deserved its own thread.

Write up from the Shorthorn

http://www.theshorthorn.com/news/campus ... 0f31a.html

[quote]Renovations totaling $5.5 million were approved for the baseball and softball facilities at Clay Gould Ballpark and Allan Saxe Field.

Most of the funds would likely go to building clubhouses for each sport, Athletics director Jim Baker told The Shorthorn before the regents met. Other funds could go toward improving the dugouts for baseball, as well as new bleachers and fences for Allan Saxe Field, he said.

Other changes would include new locker rooms, coaches’ offices and shower units, he said.

Baker said the changes are necessary for the programs to keep up with recruits and competitors.

“They don’t have locker rooms, bathrooms and a place to hang out,” Baker said. “They haven’t been upgraded in a long time and we’re losing ground.”

Renovations could happen as early as May 2014, Baker said.

“Recruiting comes down to comparing schools,” Baker said. “It’s starts with facilities.”

This appears to not just be for clubhouses, but other parts of the master plan.

I was also encouraged that it includes offices for the coaches too.
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

UTArlingtonMaverick

#1 [url]

Sep 2 13 9:19 AM

Re: Clay Gould clubhouse.

Baker is right. We are losing ground in baseball facilities. Hitting facility was a step in the right direction, but we gotta have the rest of it. If you look at what are competitors are doing, it becomes painfully obvious that we gotta upgrade facilities. This likely wont be the end of it. The fan amenity aspect will need work. Obviously, baker is concentrating first on those aspects that directly impact players.

Quote    Reply   

runamuck

#3 [url]

Sep 4 13 6:20 AM

so why is this news not being shouted out..this should take a prominent spot on the athletics web page, not be part of a rotating blip at the top of the page that many people might not even notice..I have been to a lot of ball games over there and this is pretty big news to me...

Quote    Reply   

UTArlingtonMaverick

#5 [url]

Sep 4 13 8:07 PM

Oh, I know. The regents gave preliminary approval! Can't celebrate preliminary approval. Now, the project will be developed in final form. Probably fund raising for it. It will then go back to the regents for final approval. Even though final approval is almost a certainty, we can't put the cart before the horse.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

FoUTASportscaster

Maverick

#6 [url]

Sep 5 13 5:52 AM

Back in the 70's, the Regents approved both a football stadium and multi-use arena. Only Maverick Stadium was built, so yes, we should wait.

Also, the indoor facilities weren't put on the main page until the groundbreaking. I still think it should be in there though, as it is positive news for the department, but I understand why it isn't.

Quote    Reply   

FoUTASportscaster

Maverick

#8 [url]

Sep 17 13 9:09 PM

Some info is put up on UTAMavs.com.

http://www.utamavs.com/sports/m-basebl/ ... 13aaa.html

[quote]The project will add a softball field house to Allan Saxe Field, home of the UT Arlington softball team, and a field house to Clay Gould Ballpark, home of the baseball team. The work also will include field improvements and upgrades to the sound systems and bleachers at the complex, off Fielder Road and West Park Row in Arlington.

But because the fields do not have on-site locker rooms or training facilities, players currently share space at Maverick Stadium with track-and-field students, driving between the stadium and fields to change, shower or be treated for injury.

Construction is expected to begin following the Spring 2014 season and be completed by early 2015. The work will be funded primarily from previously approved bond proceeds, but also will include philanthropic support. Among those supporters is alumnus Roy D. Wilson, (BBA, ’79) an operations engineer at Lockheed Martin Aeronautics in Fort Worth, and his wife Patti.

A longtime Maverick baseball supporter, Wilson’s son was an accomplished youth baseball player and frequent participant in UT Arlington baseball summer camps before he died in 2010 at age 13.

Wilson leveraged his company’s matching gift program to strengthen the impact of his personal contributions to UT Arlington baseball. The University will recognize his contributions by naming the men’s indoor practice facility the Justin D. Wilson Batting Facility in honor of his son.

Quote    Reply   

Duck

Maverick

#9 [url]

Sep 20 13 9:58 AM

Step by step, Baker and company are dealing with outstanding facilities issues. Eventually we will get to the point that a Maverick Stadium field house will become the next thing. Perhaps by then we will have an opening for Mack Brown to transition to.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help