Remove this ad

FoUTASportscaster

Maverick

#21 [url]

Oct 28 13 6:04 PM

Re: 2013 Volleyball

Yeah, I wondered that too. Luckily, volleyball is a sport that is more about talent than coaching. A great basketball coach can outmaneuver a team with more talent. In volleyball, that doesn't happen as much, though certainly it can. Charmaine Whitmore and Shelby Dickinson are two that are really performing right now. Charmaine was #2 in the nation in blocks per set and had a double-double in blocks and kills, which is very hard to do.

Where a coach really makes a difference in volleyball is on the recruiting trail. UTA really benefited early on by being the only team in the region. Lots of volleyball talent in the region.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

FoUTASportscaster

Maverick

#23 [url]

Nov 23 13 3:37 PM

UTA's season ended today. After getting an assist from Troy, who beat WKU in the first round, UTA makes it to the championship tournament final. There they meet familiar foe Texas State and gets swept. After a disappointing second half that included losses to three teams with losing records, UTA finishes at 19-15.

The question is will we see Coach Seymour next year. This was only the second winning season in the last six years:
2008 7-23
2009 12-17
2010 17-15
2011 12-19
2012 9-22
2013 19-15

Total in that time span 76-111

Making it to the championship game helped, as did beating UALR and Texas State, but losing to Georgia State (9th), Troy (8th) and South Alabama (5th) is not going to help.

Quote    Reply   

Duck

Maverick

#24 [url]

Nov 24 13 2:31 PM

This area is a hotbed of VB talent, both athletes and coaches. It would be wrong to continue on this path at UTA without giving some other coach an opportunity to excel. Cudos to this year's team for having a winning record, but now it's time to move up.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

hooch

#25 [url]

Nov 25 13 3:44 PM

While I wholeheartedly agree with Duck, I have a feeling this title-game run bought Seymour a year or two longer -- at least to finish out her contract, which I think runs until 2015.

She's been needing to leave for a while. After she didn't do anything with a talented group that inlcuded Bianca Sauls, Amanda Aguilera and company, I've felt like she hasn't been worth keeping around.

Quote    Reply   

FoUTASportscaster

Maverick

#26 [url]

Nov 26 13 7:13 AM

This is why I couldn't be an AD. I knew he from when I was a student broadcaster and she is a great person.

That said, losing to Georgia State (9th) at home and to South Alabama (5th) and Troy (8th) on the road really hurt. We are second in the conference if we win those games. The other thing to consider is how good would any of the other teams been if they had a blocker like Charmaine Whitmore to alter the opponents hitting game. We weren't a good passing or defensive team and our hitting was average. On top of that, there was little mental consistency. Many of the matches we lost were due to our hitting errors. In the Troy loss, we were within a point. The Trojans went on an eight-point run. In that time, they only scored two by their work. We had six hitting errors.

Is that coaching? I don't know, but it isn't up to me to decide. What I do know is after ten seasons, she is the only Maverick volleyball coach in our history to have a losing overall record.

And honestly, we made it to the championship game because Troy upset WKU. Had that not happened, we end it in the semi-finals. I know the eight seed upset them, but I just don't think we could have.

Quote    Reply   

UTArlingtonMaverick

#27 [url]

Nov 26 13 8:33 PM

Oh, crud. Does her contract really run to 2015? If so, she may, unfortunately, be sticking around. Where along the way has she ever merited such a long contract?

Looking at her body of work, it is clear we need to bring in somebody new.

Quote    Reply   

FoUTASportscaster

Maverick

#28 [url]

Nov 26 13 9:20 PM

That's odd,UTA usually does three-year contracts. If that was the case, she got one after last year. Prior to this season, neither of the last two were anything but terrible.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help