Remove this ad

FoUTASportscaster

Maverick

Maverick

Lead

Aug 27 13 7:10 AM

Tags : :

Summer doldrums are over. Volleyball begins play this week with the first matches at CPC.

Here's the SBC preseason poll with the parenthesis indicating last years record and, if applicable, the SBC record, bold is a non-SBC conference record:

1. Western Kentucky (33-4, 15-0) – 100 points
2. UALR (13-14, 9-5) – 77 points
Troy (21-12, 10-5) – 77 points
4. Arkansas State (19-14, 8-6)– 64 points
Texas State (14-16, 9-9) – 64 points
6. UT Arlington (9-22, 5-13) – 47 points
7. Louisiana-Lafayette (16-16, 6-8) – 46 points
8. South Alabama (13-17, 6-9) – 39 points
9. Georgia State (4-20, 2-10)– 24 points
10. Louisiana-Monroe (5-18, 1-13) – 13 points

This is about where I would put them. WKU is in the preseason top 25, so that is no shock. I think I would have Troy as outright 2. The Arkansas teams are even and round out the top four, in either order for me. Until we beat them on the court, you have to give the nod to Texas State.

As for the teams below us, historically, we are better than the Louisiana's, and as last year showed, that is the case even when we struggle. You'd have to go back to 1995 to find South Alabama's last winning season, both overall and conference. Didn't follow the Colonial, but past records indicate that Georgia State isn't that good, so that fits.

We have experience this year, something we didn't have last year, so hopefully that will translate into something better than what is listed here, but as it stands now, this seems to be pretty accurate with what we know about the conference.
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

hooch

#1 [url]

Aug 30 13 8:42 AM

Re: 2013 Volleyball

This team will win somewhere in the 15-16 games. By that token, Baker should finally do what he should have done when he stepped in and rid the program of Seymour.

Quote    Reply   

80sAlum

Alumni

#2 [url]

Aug 30 13 9:39 AM

Nice to see the conference have a top 25 program. Our ranked teams in the late 80's sure were fun to go watch.

Quote    Reply   

FoUTASportscaster

Maverick

#3 [url]

Aug 30 13 8:03 PM

Duck wrote:
[quote]I re-upped for my season tickets this week as well Duck, can't wait for Nov. 12th!

Received a letter from the new president urging alumni to support fall athletics and to buy season tickets. I would think that indicates he is going to generally support athletics.

I guess he's a big VB fan. Does anybody think Diane Seymour can get it right in time to keep her job? Our formerly dominant program is pretty far from the glory days of old. Let's hope that she will either win big or lose big, so as to remove any ambiguity about her option year.

I don't know, they are down two sets to one on a DI transitional school at home.

Quote    Reply   

FoUTASportscaster

Maverick

#4 [url]

Aug 30 13 8:07 PM

They come back to win two sets in a row for the match. Glad to get a win, but I am not terribly happy with the start.

ACU was 20-11 overall and 11-9 in the Lone Star Conference last year. They were not in the regional DII rankings. Don't know what kind of experience they bring back or what their tradition is, but for a team that measures success in championships, a five set win against a DI transitional school isn't the most comforting.

Quote    Reply   

UTArlingtonMaverick

#5 [url]

Aug 31 13 7:00 AM

Seymour must go. I will make this statement again even before the results come in from this season. We made a number of positive athletic hires since baker got here (not limited only to coaching staff) and Cross' salary has been consistently increased. We probably decided to let her contract run its course.

Be prepared for another disappointing season, because Seymour simply does not have the right stuff. Period.

Quote    Reply   

UTArlingtonMaverick

#6 [url]

Aug 31 13 7:00 AM

Seymour must go. I will make this statement again even before the results come in from this season. We made a number of positive athletic hires since baker got here (not limited only to coaching staff) and Cross' salary has been consistently increased. We probably decided to let her contract run its course.

Be prepared for another disappointing season, because Seymour simply does not have the right stuff. Period.

Quote    Reply   

runamuck

#8 [url]

Sep 4 13 5:19 PM

yes, a new coach is sorely needed. with all the volleyball played in this area and the new facility , there is no reason for us to be so bad every year.

Quote    Reply   

FoUTASportscaster

Maverick

#10 [url]

Sep 5 13 5:54 AM

Losing to UNT isn't cool, all-time we now 53-8. Sadly, the outcome is about what I expected.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

FoUTASportscaster

Maverick

#12 [url]

Sep 7 13 3:22 PM

Not to diminish what we did, but Baylor isn't that good. They have only one win on the year.

Losing to Mississippi State was just as bad. They only won four matches last year.

The true test this weekend comes in a few minutes. Tulsa, like UNT, is picked to be at the top of C-USA, and are the defending champs.

Quote    Reply   

FoUTASportscaster

Maverick

#13 [url]

Sep 7 13 4:34 PM

Does anyone else watch the matches on Gametracker? For the second day in a row, it is frozen early in the match on me the last two matches I have watched. It is quite frustrating.

Quote    Reply   

FoUTASportscaster

Maverick

#19 [url]

Oct 28 13 6:07 AM

Real proud of the volleyball ladies this weekend. They avenged two home losses from earlier in the year, beating Arkansas St and UALR on the road. UTA is now 8-3 and in sole possession of second place.

The two Arkansas' are the top four teams UTA will face in the second half of conference. Only a road match against Texas State and a home match against Western Kentucky left of teams that should challenge UTA (barring the upset of course).

Quote    Reply   

Duck

Maverick

#20 [url]

Oct 28 13 3:11 PM

That's great news. It has been too long since we had a winning VB team (Does anyone else miss Amber Pack?). Still, I have a sinking feeling that this could be an Eddie McCarter like option year performance for our head coach. I apologize if this seems unfair, but that's just the way it feels.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help