Remove this ad

UTArlingtonMaverick

Grad Student

Lead

Aug 13 13 8:06 PM

Tags : :

Had a chance to tour their campus a few days ago.

Quick notes of impressions:

Overall, a worthy associate for us.
Biggest campus plus was a section containing ancient oak trees; super nice.
A portion of the campus was stripped-down neo-gothic architecture, but most was bad modern. They probably want to go back to their roots.
Except for the oaks in the old part of campus, campus landscaping was very poor. Way below UTA standards.
Buildings seemed to be in poor condition: peeling paint, etc. Again, maintenance was way below UTA standards.
Athletic facilities were on a separate campus several miles from the main campus.
Stadium looked old; press box looks like late 1960s. Stadium was an island surrounded by a sea of concrete going right up to the edge of the surrounding roads; rusting chain link fence surrounded the stadium parking lot. Again, looked shabby.
Indoor football practice facility looked impressive and substantial.
Baseball stadium looked nice; I liked the fan picnic areas around it.
Overall facilities gave the impression of a typical under-funded Louisiana university, but more substantial than many of its brethren, e.g., McNeese, UL Monroe, NW, etc.
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

FoUTASportscaster

Maverick

#1 [url]

Aug 14 13 6:08 AM

Re: Visit to LA Lafayette

I can't speak for the rest of the campus (no one brags about academic facilities, sadly), but I do know that the Cajun posters on the Sun Belt board keep bringing up the football stadium that is up for a renovation soon.

Quote    Reply   

runamuck

#2 [url]

Aug 14 13 2:39 PM

that stadium seemed old back when I went there to watch us play usl back in the middle ages..I consider them and stAte and nmsu and swt to all be much better peer schools to hang out with than the schools we left behind in the slc..I dont feel much of a kinship with the rest of the sun belt schools tho. maybe if we drag mo state in and get the rest of the nmsu sports, we will have a nice western division.

Quote    Reply   

UTArlingtonMaverick

#3 [url]

Aug 15 13 6:04 AM

Pardon, I don't know why I said gothic architecture. The original part of the campus is neo-Georgian. But more of an unadorned, stripped-down version. Not decorated like SMU's neo-Georgian.

Maybe I said gothic, because the place had sort of a back-woods, swampy, American gothic feel.

Quote    Reply   

maverick91

#4 [url]

Aug 17 13 2:11 PM

what is the difference between neo-georgian, neo-gothic and gothic? Please describe in more common terms because I ain't so smart on that architecture kinda stuff. Was it new, old, bright, dark, invigorating, exciting, soothing, relaxing, sunny, cloudy, gloomy, roomy, crowded?

Did they have plenty of surface lots?

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

Duck

Maverick

#5 [url]

Aug 20 13 10:05 AM

On my most recent visit to USL (Oops, U LaLa), I was indeed impressed with the many acres of surface level parking, although there were abundant weeds growing in the cracks in the asphalt. Still, the image that persists in my mind is that of the cigar smoking woman that sat behind us in the grandstand. I don't recall whether or not UTA won that game.....

Quote    Reply   

UTArlingtonMaverick

#6 [url]

Aug 20 13 7:15 PM

91, I could spend the next 20 minutes writing about gothic and Georgian, and their application of US campuses. However, you will save me a lot of time and get better information by googling it, if you don't mind.

Quote    Reply   

Duck

Maverick

#8 [url]

Aug 21 13 6:41 PM

And don't skip Edwardian.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help