Remove this ad

UTAMavalum83

Senior

Senior

Lead

Jun 9 13 3:11 PM

Tags : :

Has there been any advance in UT Arlington establishing these two sports - so we can meet the Title IX requirement?

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

Duck

Maverick

#1 [url]

Jun 9 13 7:12 PM

Re: What's the latest on adding Women's Soccer and Golf?

Oh. You mean those two sports that Spanny promised to look into back in 2004? Nothing. Nothing has been done.

Quote    Reply   

FoUTASportscaster

Maverick

#3 [url]

Jun 10 13 6:23 AM

Duck wrote:
Oh. You mean those two sports that Spanny promised to look into back in 2004? Nothing. Nothing has been done.

Do you know how hard it is to stay civil when you keep throwing what I consider to be S like this out?

He brought us one of the absolute finest on-campus arenas in the country and what do you do? Bitch about the fact that in 2009, he didn't revisit football. The pitfalls of building the arena were numerous and documented, and we got the best case scenario, an outstanding facility, equiped with all the bells and whistles, on campus, that is the best in the region, equal with the Big XII and SEC in the state and one of the best in the entire nation. But because he didn't bring the only sport you apparently care about to UTA, he is a failure.

Spaniolo has single-handedly done more the the athletic department than any other president in UTA history. During his time he spearheaded CPC, oversaw renovations to Maverick Stadium's locker rooms, brought the indoor batting cages and gave preliminary approval to the Allan Saxe renovation. And that's just in facilities.

He personally initiated the move to the WAC and saw a part of moving to the Sun Belt. I saw him at more athletic events than I ever saw Sorber or Whitt, which the tally for me personally was zero. And he brought in Jim Baker, which really seems to be a great move for our department.

During his time here, the men's basketball team made all but one of their postseason tournament appearances, including their lone NCAA, the women made all but one of their postseason appearances, including their only two NCAA appearances, baseball has made two postseason appearances, and half of their regular or postseason championships have come under his watch.

Almost every sport is trending up. Baseball is, at least on the surface, back to being a contender every year, something that hasn't happened since the Butch McBroom run of 14 straight winning seasons in the '80's and '90's. Men's basketball has never been brighter. The women have an exciting new coach. Same with softball. The track team once again produced All-Americans this year. Cross Country won a WAC title with underclassmen. Men's golf was a few strokes out of first and had the individual champion in the conference. The tennis team had mixed results and only volleyball in trending downward, but they had no seniors this past year, so there is a reason to be optimistic there.

And on top of it, there is still a timeline that has been announced that is being followed. They said we need to upgrade our facilities for the existing sports before football. That is exactly what they are doing.

So please take the bitterness of the only sport you seem to care about out and realize we have upgraded from a SLC contender to a bonafide mid-major in all sports, and enjoy what we have. We offer some great sports and some great athletes.

On top of it, we are unquestionably in compliance with Title IX now. Why would we add sports when there isn't a need for that reason? I made the case here, my-case-for-women-s-soccer-t1285809.html, for women's soccer. But it wasn't for Title IX.

Quote    Reply   

GiantBenMav

Alumni

#4 [url]

Jun 10 13 3:57 PM

If I had to pick between football and the new arena, and I love football, I would pick the path we are on ... basketball has always been here, and to take advantage of the situation(new conference, great young homegrown coach) with the most beautiful arena in the area ... it just makes more sense to me ...

I do hope that football will come next ... but Spaniolo did a TON for the athletic department, yes it was a little disheartening that the 5 year window opened and closed without a whimper of a message ... which would be exponentially more heartbreaking if the athletic department was ignored during his tenure ... he did a tremendous job in getting this University inline with the goals of the alumni and the students ...

Buddy Christ Says: Go Mavs !!!

Quote    Reply   

Duck

Maverick

#5 [url]

Jun 10 13 6:58 PM

[quote]Do you know how hard it is to stay civil when you keep throwing what I consider to be S like this out?Okay, you're right, I'm bitter.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

FoUTASportscaster

Maverick

#6 [url]

Jun 10 13 8:52 PM

The only real fault I can find with Spaniolo is that he thought the arena would be five years. The Shorthorn did a really good of laying down a timeline in the CPC debut issue. At one point, the discussions include chipping in with the city to build it at the Arlington Convention Center. What a disaster that would have been.

Spaniolo said he would revisit in five years. Duck, I truly don't know this answer to this. Did he say it would be done publicly? It seems to me that where we are now was a process of revisiting the issue. Baseball and softball have average to sub-par facilities at best. Football will be considered once we have proven we can take of what we have.

I know it isn't as echoed as much on this board, but I am just so tired of the sentiment that football is the first, best and only sport that matters. We have a really good program top to bottom. We finished sixth in the Commissioner's Cup, but lacked five of the sponsored sports. If you averaged out the scores per sport, we were second. If we give our coaches the facilities to succeed, then football should be on the table.

And remember from this thread, I feel we are on the cusp.

curious-karl-benson-quote-t1285402.html

Quote    Reply   

UTAMavalum83

Senior

#7 [url]

Jun 10 13 9:22 PM

Alright, alright, Gentlemen. The bell has rung, this round is over. To your corners. All I wanted to know was, has there been any progress toward doing what must be done next?

Quote    Reply   

FoUTASportscaster

Maverick

#8 [url]

Jun 11 13 6:26 AM

The progress is facility enhancement. Football, soccer and golf won't be pursued until our existing sports have competitive facilities. Both basketballs and volleyball are done. Track is for all intents and purposes. Golf doesn't need anything. Baseball and softball are in progress. Both tennis' are up in the air.

Quote    Reply   

Duck

Maverick

#9 [url]

Jun 11 13 12:23 PM

I think you are right on this score. The facilities have been getting upgraded across the board. Tennis has been a bit of a disappointment, given the rather minor facilities investment needed there, but I can see we have made great strides elsewhere.

As a side comment regarding tennis, (editorial opinion follows) I would not be shocked to see us downgrade or even drop the teams, given the lack of US high school players competing at the college level. Compared to softball, golf, volleyball and soccer, interest in tennis appears to be lagging. Either American kids are 90% less accomplished in tennis than their counterparts in Europe and Asia, or we are being flooded by waves of international pro-am tour veterans who have an unfair advantage. In either case, the NCAA has a problem.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help