Remove this ad

FoUTASportscaster

Maverick

Maverick

Lead

May 30 13 9:34 AM

Tags : :

Playing schedule dectective, here's what we know about our schedule next year. We know conference. Out is FAU, FIU, MTSU and UNT. In is TXST, us and GAST. I think the plan is a round-robin schedule, so I'd expect home and away games with:

Arkansas-Little Rock
Arkansas St
Georgia St
UL-Lafayette
UL-Monroe
South Alabama
Texas St
Troy
Western Kentucky

Announced
Nov. 15 Cleveland St
Nov. 19 @ Kentucky
Nov. 21 @ Robert Morris
Nov. 23 @ Eastern Michigan

There will also likely be a road game against OU to fulfil the home-and-home.

I'm not certain, and it is pure conjecture, but Oklahoma St could be a home game, if it wasn't a guarantee last year.

To fulfill the bracketbuster commitment, we will likely be going to Irvine to play the anteaters.

Weber St. might play at CPC, since they didn't play us last year to fulfil the 2012 bracketbuster game.

I believe CSU-Bakersfield is a home-and-home and they should be coming here.

Last I heard, a home game against UNT is still up in the air. But looking at this, we need another home game, so the Mavs may be really trying to stick it to them to fulfill their contract. If UNT does buy it out, I'd like to see a game against UTSA or an old SLC rival like Sam or Lamar (maybe even SFA). But given how hard it can be to schedule quickly, that buy out from UNT could be used for a D-II guarantee game, though I'd like to avoid that if possible.
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

FoUTASportscaster

Maverick

#2 [url]

Jun 3 13 8:56 PM

Re: 2013/14 schedule

I can't believe I forgot this one, but I would expect a return trip to Boise too.

Counting UNT and OSU, that makes 29 games, which is a full season.

It would be hard for me to imagine a season without a true guarantee game, but maybe the Keightley Classic serves that purpose.

Quote    Reply   

FoUTASportscaster

Maverick

#3 [url]

Jun 4 13 8:36 AM

Home games for 2013/14
Certain
Arkansas-Little Rock
Arkansas St
Georgia St
UL-Lafayette
UL-Monroe
South Alabama
Texas St
Troy
Western Kentucky
Nov. 15 Cleveland St

Probable
CSU-Bakersfield

Scheduled but up in the air
UNT

Maybe
Oklahoma St
Weber St

Road games
Certain
Arkansas-Little Rock
Arkansas St
Georgia St
UL-Lafayette
UL-Monroe
South Alabama
Texas St
Troy
Western Kentucky
Nov. 19 @ Kentucky
Nov. 21 @ Robert Morris
Nov. 23 @ Eastern Michigan

Probable
UC-Irvine
OU
Boise St

That would be 14 home games and 15 road games. If UNT does back out, I would expect that to be filled in with a home game, whether it be a D-II or a new home-and-home from a regional team.

Quote    Reply   

FoUTASportscaster

Maverick

#4 [url]

Jun 4 13 8:41 AM

maverick91 wrote:
I'd love to see SFA play us at CPC. That's a very intriguing game just because of the two styles of play.

Is this mav91 or a new poster?

I too would like SFA to come in. We were really developing into a rivalry, though Kaspar is gone, so that takes some of the luster out.

Quote    Reply   

maverick91

#5 [url]

Jun 4 13 1:26 PM

It's me--Mav 91. I had an issue with my password or something, couldn't get logged in, so am posting under the new name.

Quote    Reply   

FoUTASportscaster

Maverick

#7 [url]

Jun 21 13 6:53 PM

I was afraid of that. I wish we would stop playing them in most every sport. These guarantee games against the Longhorns drive me crazy.

Quote    Reply   

80sAlum

Alumni

#8 [url]

Jun 22 13 9:19 AM

Me too! I still remember one of Mark Nixon's teams losing by 50 in Austin and Nixon saying we would stop playing those type games...I can only hope that the pay out is one of the best, otherwise, let's play someone else.

Quote    Reply   

FoUTASportscaster

Maverick

#10 [url]

Jun 23 13 3:00 PM

I remember during the McCarter era that the guarantee games were roughly $80,000. So I'd think it be near $100,000 now.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

Duck

Maverick

#12 [url]

Jun 23 13 4:22 PM

Good to see that Weebur is finally honoring their half of the home and home. Does anybody know when our OU game in Norman will be?

Quote    Reply   

FoUTASportscaster

Maverick

#13 [url]

Jun 23 13 5:49 PM

80sAlum wrote:
Me too! I still remember one of Mark Nixon's teams losing by 50 in Austin and Nixon saying we would stop playing those type games...I can only hope that the pay out is one of the best, otherwise, let's play someone else.

The deal is, it is a Longhorn thing with me. I just don't like the team, their practices or their attitude. In any sport at any level (Highland Park, UT, NY Yankees), I just don't like any team that buys wins. They have the largest budget of any college athletic program.

Other examples:

The Longhorns would never hire a guy like Bob Stoops in any sport because he didn't have head coaching experience. They will hire another head coach from a D1 school. That isn't a bad thing, but I don't like it when that is all they do.

They play very few conference road games in any sport because they will pay to have teams come here. OU, Baylor, Texas Tech, Texas A&M and TCU are Power 5 conference teams that have played us in baseball at Clay Gould. Texas is the only Texas school not to do so. A similar situation exists in softball. Obviously, OU came here in basketball, but Texas never ever will (despite our venue being far superior), at least under the current leadership.

I have heard from players that they have recruited some folks only because another team wanted them, not because they actually wanted them. It may or may not be an actual practice, but it wouldn't surprise me.

And I say all of this with care because our current AD comes from there, but that stuff is just impossible for me to look past.

Quote    Reply   

FoUTASportscaster

Maverick

#14 [url]

Jun 23 13 5:51 PM

Duck wrote:
Good to see that Weebur is finally honoring their half of the home and home. Does anybody know when our OU game in Norman will be?

Nothing on any schedule that I have seen, most schools haven't been released yet.

Quote    Reply   

FoUTASportscaster

Maverick

#16 [url]

Jul 12 13 12:52 PM

Good find and a heck of good post. Fairly solid, but a little disappointed in the home offerings. a DII and a DIII. I supposed Howard Payne was added to make up for UNT. I wonder if they bought us out or if they rescheduled for next year. DBU is at least a local school that may have a following. 15 home games with three in November. Only one more road game than home. I'm happy with that.

Quote    Reply   

Duck

Maverick

#17 [url]

Jul 12 13 1:04 PM

I like that we have Weeeeebur on Saturday, Dec. 7 (Pearl Harbor Day). Tuesday, the week before Christmas is not ideal for our match-up with OU in Norman, but if possible, we are going to that one.

Quote    Reply   

UTAPRC

Senior

#18 [url]

Jul 12 13 1:22 PM

Thanks guys. I was hoping for a super duper Homecoming like last year with a big name opponent... but as long as we win I guess.

Quote    Reply   

FoUTASportscaster

Maverick

#19 [url]

Jul 13 13 6:41 AM

I think we all were (and we should have won this year). However, not having a big name opponent will be a good test of what kind of school spirit we can generate for homecoming.

Ironically enough, last years homecoming attendance would have beaten three of the homecoming football games in the 70's and five from the '70's.

Quote    Reply   

FoUTASportscaster

Maverick

#20 [url]

Jul 13 13 7:10 AM

After further review, I wonder if the Monroe and Lafayette games might be switched. Every other conference series utilizes travel partners, USA/Troy, Geo St/WKU and Ark St/Ark-LR. But, on Jan 9th it says we host Monroe, then go to Lafayette on the 11th. Then on Feb 6th, it says we host Lafayette, then go to Monroe the next game on the 13th.

I thought naturally we would be paired with Texas St, but then Monroe isn't too far either. However, the first time through looks like we are paired with Monroe, as the road games are with Texas St and ULL immediately after. But then the second time through, we host ULL, go to Monroe then host TXST. Unless, the four Texas and Louisiana schools are just jumbled all together and none have travel partners.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help