Remove this ad

FoUTASportscaster

Maverick

Maverick

Lead

May 22 13 9:38 AM

Tags : :

So baseball all-WAC teams were posted to the WAC site today, and I have reached the end of my rope. Before I get into that, let me go from the start of the sports year until the end.

Volleyball 8th of 10, one All-WAC performer, 2nd team.

In order of finish, starting with regular season champs Utah St-6, UTSA-5, Idaho-4, NMSU-3, Denver-3, San Jose-2, Texas St-2, UTA-1, Seattle-1, La Tech-0.

No big deal, seems to be right on in terms of All-WAC vs. regular season finish. We also had zero players of the week.

Women's basketball t9th of 10, 0 All-WAC perfomers.
Seattle-3, Utah St-3, Idaho-3, UTSA-1, La Tech -3, Denver-3, San Jose-2, NMSU-1, Texas St-1, UTA-0.

So again, low finish, low performer. Ironically, we finished tied with Texas State, they got two, one was Diamond Ford, who was an NCAA scoring leader. Zero players of the week. Now lets see what happens when we have teams that do well.

Men's basketball t4th of 10, 1 All-WAC performer, 3rd team.
Denver-4, La Tech-4, NMSU-3, UTA-1, Utah St-2, Idaho-1, Texas St-1, UTSA-1, San Jose St-0, Seattle-0.

Only one team on an 11-7 squad. The awards are announced before the tournament, but obviously there was talent here to make it to the championship game. Zero players of the week, in you listen to the WAC. A couple of times, Collegeinsider named Kevin Butler the WAC player of the week. It was then that I started to feel there was an anti-UTA bias.

Softball t6th of 8, 2 All-WAC performers, 1st, 2nd team
San Jose-4, NMSU-6, La Tech-4, Texas St-5, UTSA-1, UTA-2, Seattle-2, Utah St-2.

On the surface, everything seems ok, though I do wonder how a team flirting with .500 can have the same amount of all-conference picks as one that sits around .250. But here's my hang-up. Terri Lyles should have been a first teamer and pitcher of the year. She pitched for a team with an anemic offense, but had almost as many wins as the San Jose St winner, but had a far lower ERA. She was the better pitcher, period. and she not only doesn't get POY, but she doesn't make the first team? Zero hitters of the week, three pitcher of the week's.

Baseball t1st of 10, 3 All-WAC perfomers, 1 1st, 2 2nd team.
CSU-B-6, UTA-3, Texas St-5, UTSA-4, Sacramento St-4, NMSU-4, DBU-5, San Jose-3, La Tech-1, Seattle-1.

So we are league champs, but get the third least all-conference performers? DBU finishes 7th and gets five, two more than us? And on top of that, only one is a first teamer. So let's assume that is true, that we had the least talent of the top eight teams. Doesn't that mean we get coach of the year? Nope, that goes to a future league member who had the most all-conference performers of any team.

Five team sports, zero player of the year honors and only seven all-conference picks. WOW!

The only sport that had consistent players of the week was indoor and outdoor track for both genders. Cross country had one POW athlete in 14 total weeks for both genders. Tennis struggled by their standards, men one 2nd team selection, women one 1st teamer. Golf had the tournament winner lose player of the year to a freshman that finished 16th. We had two all-conference picks, but for a team that finished second overall, to have three other teams do the same is junk.

I was waiting to see how baseball did before I typed anything because we truely have been either a team without superstars or performed poorly. But for a league champion to have as many all-conference picks as the 8th place team and less than anyone else above it...

See ya WAC, can't leave fast enough.
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

FoUTASportscaster

Maverick

#1 [url]

May 28 13 10:34 AM

Re: WAC - Good riddance

Add another one.

http://www.wacsports.com/ViewArticle.db ... =205021854

These are the final standings for the Commissioner's Cup. Look at baseball. We finished tied for the regular season, which should be noted with a yellow shade. Not there. UTSA obviously gets the blue shade for winning the tourney, but we get nothing. I checked to see if it is because we didn't have the tie-breaker, but other sports had two teams get a yellow-shade, and the description said ties weren't broken but averaged.

Boy a lot of little things that added together tick me off.

Quote    Reply   

Duck

Maverick

#2 [url]

May 28 13 8:36 PM

Interim conference. I hope 'belt will be an improvement, but I wonder. It's a shame for a Tier One wannabe to have a Tier Three athletics program, but that's us until we get the obvious upgrades needed.

Quote    Reply   

FoUTASportscaster

Maverick

#3 [url]

Jun 5 13 9:24 AM

So Rowdy C tweeted this post. https://twitter.com/RowdyCMoore/status/ ... 0440955904 And Coach Cross' wife responded with this:

[quote]I TOTALLY agree with him. The WAC ripped us off in more ways than all-conference picks...peace OUT.

It made me want to elaborate. If the above illustrates a UTA bias, what else is going on behind the scenes? There were times I was able to think that there was a UTA bias in the Southland, but it also could be explained by being a homer. I never really thought the SLC had it out for us. The WAC did feel like a temporary home, and maybe they thought that too, since UTSA could lay claim to being just as unfairly targeted in many of their sports.

Sadly, we wanted to make the WAC work, but when everyone left, we really had no choice. Moving back to the SLC would have been better than a glorified Great West.

Thanks for backing me up Mrs. Coach!

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help