Remove this ad

FoUTASportscaster

Maverick

Maverick

Lead

May 17 13 11:01 PM

Tags : :

Do I really need to put a year on it?

One regular season game for us left and we have locked up the number two seed. We have an outside chance of winning the championship, but it is a long shot. First the standings, current from games played on 5-17:
CSU Bakersfield 17-8 34-20
UT Arlington 17-9 29-25
Texas State 15-11 26-28
UTSA 14-11 30-23
Sacramento State 14-12 33-21
New Mexico State13-13 28-25
Dallas Baptist 13-13 28-27
San Jose State 10-15 16-37
Seattle U 9-16 20-33
Louisiana Tech 6-20 19-36

Top 8 seeds make it. Cal St-Bakersfield and San Jose St have two games remaining, everyone else has one. UTSA and Seattle rained out one game.
This week, UTA is playing Sacramento State and have won the first two games of the series. We have to win tomorrow to have a chance at first. If we do that and Bakersfield loses the last two at San Jose, we are the champs. Not likely. They have the tie-breaker, thanks to winning two of three from us.

Despite just one game left for those involved, there is just two games separating third through seventh. If the standings hold, we will play DBU, who beat us 2-1 earlier. But it could also be NMSU or Sac St. UTSA seems to be benefiting from the rained out game as they can lose and still finish a half game ahead of several teams.

The tournament will be in Quick Trip Park in Grand Prairie. Anyone considering going?
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

Duck

Maverick

#1 [url]

May 18 13 4:36 PM

Re: 2013 WAC tournament

Wow. UTA completed the sweep against Sacto State 6-5. Now it's up to San Jose State to win against Bakersfield. We did our part.

Quote    Reply   

FoUTASportscaster

Maverick

#2 [url]

May 18 13 6:09 PM

Yes we did sweep, which I didn't see coming, but Bakersfield did win, so we are guaranteed the second seed. If San Jose beats the Runners tomorrow, we will be tied and claim a share of the WAC championship. That series loss to Seattle is really looming large now.

Seeding is virtually set.

1.Bakersfield
2.UTA
3.Texas State
4.UTSA
5.Sacramento State
6.New Mexico State
7.Dallas Baptist
8.San Jose if they win tomorrow or Seattle if they lose.

First round games are
Bakersfield v San Jose or Seattle (CSU-B - 3-0 v Seattle, 1-1 v San Jose St)
UTA v Dallas Baptist (I really wanted to have them again, DBU 2 -1)
Texas State v New Mexico St (TXST 2-1)
UTSA v Sac St (UTSA 2-1)

CSU-B, UTSA, Sac St and either SJSU or SU will be on one side of the bracket while us, Texas St, NMSU and DBU will be on the other.

Quote    Reply   

FoUTASportscaster

Maverick

#3 [url]

May 19 13 6:11 PM

I assumed, and I am sorry. The tournament is pool play, not double-elimination. We will play DBU on Wednesday, NMSU on Friday and Texas State on Saturday.

The other four teams are in the opposite pool and each pool will send the team with the best record to the championship game.

This is a great opportunity to improve our RPI. Three and potentially four games against different opponents. We have virtually zero chance for an at-large, but winning four games could potentially increase our seeding, should we make it that far. As of Tuesday, our RPI was 162, while Texas State's was 131, NMSU's was 156 and DBU's was 169. Our 162 does not factor in a one-run loss on the road to TCU and three wins on the road against Sac St.

Quote    Reply   

FoUTASportscaster

Maverick

#4 [url]

May 22 13 9:54 PM

Was at the tournament opener for UTA and couldn't be prouder of the Mavs.

Vachon may have pitched his best game of the year. DBU is good, one of the best, if not the best, offenses in the WAC and country. They average almost a home run a game and almost six RBI per game. He kept them off-balance with a great pitch mix. They didn't know when or where it was coming.

I was worried too, because his last two conference starts were a bit shaky. Thought we were about to hit the same thing in the second when DBU had the bases loaded with only one out, but he was able to get a double play. That was key for two reasons. Obviously it ended the inning, but DBU hit into only 21 DP's the whole season. They don't do it often, so that showed he was on his game.
Today, he was awesome, best pitching performance in the tourney so far.

There was some really solid defensive play in the outfield early. QT has some weird shadows but Lawrence did great in the early innings.

Don't go to a game with a three-year old by yourself. I missed the first run scored in the second because I was on my third restroom trip.

There was a large crowd tonight. I don't know the first two games, as the attendance is for tickets sold in all three games, but I would believe 800 or so. I figured the two local teams had the best chance to draw a large crowd. Glad to see I was right. Things are changing at UTA, slowly but surely. We weren't outnumbered by fans like we were in Waco last year when we played these guys.

I wanted DBU again and am glad we got them. Now hopefully we can win the next two games like we did in the season series.

UTSA and CSU-Bakersfield are 1-0 in their Pool, San Jose and Sac St are 0-1. Tx St and NMSU play tomorrow at 11.

Quote    Reply   

FoUTASportscaster

Maverick

#5 [url]

May 22 13 10:00 PM

FoUTASportscaster wrote:
This is a great opportunity to improve our RPI. Three and potentially four games against different opponents. We have virtually zero chance for an at-large, but winning four games could potentially increase our seeding, should we make it that far. As of Tuesday, our RPI was 162, while Texas State's was 131, NMSU's was 156 and DBU's was 169. Our 162 does not factor in a one-run loss on the road to TCU and three wins on the road against Sac St.

Our RPI went from 162 to 143 after the sweep at Sac St. Conceivably, if we win all four, knock on wood, that may be able to put us in the top 100, especially if CSU-B were the championship game opponent. That would then be a borderline 3/4 seed in a regional.

Quote    Reply   

FoUTASportscaster

Maverick

#7 [url]

May 23 13 5:11 PM

Sunday, if we make it that far.

Currently, UTSA is 2-0 in Pool A, CSU-B is 1-0, Sac St is 0-1 and San Jose is 0-2. CSU-B and Sac St play the final game of the night Thursday.

In Pool B, we and Texas State are 1-0, DBU and NMSU are 0-1. The Bobcats and Patriots square off tomorrow morning, we and the Aggies have the afternoon game and CSU-B and UTSA will play for the right to go the championship game in the evening.

Quote    Reply   

Duck

Maverick

#8 [url]

May 24 13 7:59 PM

If we win and NMSU loses, we are in the finals. All four teams in our pool are 1-1. If two teams end up tied at 2-1, the tie breaker favors the team that won in the heads-up meeting. In a three-way tie, the highest seed wins, which would be us. So we really need to win (duh).

Quote    Reply   

FoUTASportscaster

Maverick

#9 [url]

May 25 13 10:03 AM

Well there won't be a three-way tie as every team has a win. We are in Sunday's game if we win and DBU wins (I have to root for the Patriots?).

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

Duck

Maverick

#11 [url]

May 25 13 1:24 PM

An all-Texas final would be appropriate. Let the others win all the player of the week awards, etc., and we of the UT-not Austin variety can be champs and runner-up.

Quote    Reply   

Duck

Maverick

#14 [url]

May 25 13 8:18 PM

We're getting pounded by TSSM. Already down 2-0 in 3rd, no outs, bases loaded. Our only threat so far was a hit by Pinchback in the 2nd. Moved up on a passed ball and ground out, then he was stranded on 3rd.

Quote    Reply   

FoUTASportscaster

Maverick

#15 [url]

May 26 13 8:53 AM

With the loss to TXST, we also lost a chance to move up to fifth in the Commissioner's Cup standing. We needed to finish two spots ahead of them in the tournament to jump over them in the standings.

Quote    Reply   

FoUTASportscaster

Maverick

#17 [url]

May 27 13 10:56 AM

UTSA plays Oregon St as a four seed in the Corvallis regional.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help