Remove this ad

hooch

Senior

Lead

Mar 28 12 1:18 PM

Tags : :

So UTA may not be going to the WAC after all. There are two conferences on UTA's radar instead of the WAC due to the exodus taking place over there and the logistics.

The two most likely candidates are Sun Belt and Conference USA.
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

GiantBenMav

Alumni

#1 [url]

Mar 28 12 6:50 PM

Re: Not so WAC-ky

Yeah, story in the Shorthorn from the New AD Jim Baker

http://www.theshorthorn.com/index.php/s ... t-join-wac

[quote]“We haven’t contacted any [conference],” Baker said. “We’re gathering with the president to look at the ‘what if’ and where would we fit the best. The main thing we need to look at geographically are what makes sense for the university and what makes sense academically.”

I think it is the smart play, if the WAC folds, we have to be ready ... simple as that ... either is a good fit ...

Buddy Christ Says: Go Mavs !!!

Quote    Reply   

UTArlingtonMaverick

#2 [url]

Mar 28 12 8:14 PM

Of course, the AD and pres are looking at scenarios and possibilities. The mildly interesting thing is that they have now said so publicly.

The Sunbelt is an obvious choice to look at. Benson already likes us and thinks highly of Spaniolo... the new AD is another plus that wasn't here when he was so excited about inviting us to the WAC. Also, we had a terrific b-ball season and MUCH improved attendance...very respectable attendance. So, if anything, we are even more attractive than we were.

The second conference is not so obvious. Could we end-up staying in the Southland? I don't think anything can be off the table if we don't go in the WAC. Conference USA is a maybe, but I don't have a feel for whether they would bite or not.

I wonder if they are thinking this, too: we don't want to enter, even if it is still viable this summer, with the thought that it won't be viable within a year and we would need to leave after one year. Don't want to with death at the door but still be required to pay the exit penalty.

Of course, I wish the WAC would work-out. But, Utah State and San Jose are possibilities for the Mountain West.

Quote    Reply   

Duck

Maverick

#3 [url]

Mar 28 12 8:21 PM

GiantBenMav wrote:
Yeah, story in the Shorthorn from the New AD Jim Baker

I think it is the smart play, if the WAC folds, we have to be ready ... simple as that ... either is a good fit ...

Looking at some of the rumor sites, it appears we are not really being sought after or included on anyone's dream lists, since we are not an "all sports" candidate. In other words, if we ever want to get serious consideration for an invitation to the Sun Belt or ConfUSA/MtnWest, we will need to have football.

I would also point out that there is a realistic possibility we could see a WAC/Sun Belt merger. Notice that the WAC has not rushed to hire a new permanent commissioner. A "WACbelt" would be divided into Eastern and Western divisions, or perhaps East, West and Central divisions. That is probably our best shot at being in a major conference, even without our having football.

No doubt we will eventually add football and the other sports that will be needed on the women's side, but until we do so, our options will be limited and our strongest selling points will be our size, our arena and our TV market.

Quote    Reply   

Duck

Maverick

#4 [url]

Apr 12 12 8:06 PM

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1071435-3-plans-to-save-the-western-athletic-conference/page/2

Here's an interesting story that pushes the rumor that UTA will use its natural gas windfall to help fund football. Also some other wild speculation about ways the WAC could be saved. Two keys would be for UTA to bring back football and for Lamar to be brought in to the WAC. Other rumor sites talk about us joining the Belt or the ConfUSA/Mountain, but I understand that the merger of the CUSA and MtW has stalled because of NCAA rulings. It may be that instead of merging, the two conferences will just have a scheduling agreement.

Quote    Reply   

80sAlum

Alumni

#5 [url]

Apr 14 12 11:02 AM

The lack of football certainly does appear to limit our options. I hope something besides the Sunbelt works for us if the WAC falls apart.

Quote    Reply   

Duck

Maverick

#8 [url]

Apr 29 12 11:46 AM

http://www.mwcconnection.com/2012/4/28/2984033/conference-expansion-mwc-san-jose-state-utah-state
http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/sports/54013176-77/state-conference-utah-west.html.csp

After UTSA, if the other schools rumored leave the WAC, it's going to be very difficult to save it as a football conference. Even if they immediately added Lamar and Sam Houston, and kept Texas State,they would somehow need to get a merger with the Belt, or figure out some other trick to survive.

Sic Transit Gloria. If the WAC dies, we're unlikely to get a major conference invitation until we add football. Can the WAC still exist as a non-football conference? I suppose they could do a variation of how the SLC survived 20-odd years ago, when they carved off a "Southland Football Conference" with Troy and Jacksonville State as FB only members, and then kept the SLC for all other sports. Such a transitional ploy for the WAC would be better for UTA than having to go back to the SLC, given the strength of the WAC basketball programs.

It's looking very fragile.

Quote    Reply   

hooch

#9 [url]

Apr 30 12 7:48 AM

Baker, Spanny and the UT BoR need to get on the ball quickly before they have to fork over a $2 million exit fee. If UNT is jumping ship from the SBC to C-USA, I hope UTA is calling those at the Sun Belt to move into that vacated spot, with the idea of bringing football back into the mix in the next coming years.

I will have to say, I applaud UTSA for how quickly they are moving up the ranks.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

grumpdogg

Senior

#11 [url]

Apr 30 12 10:12 PM

I know the new AD said they had been talking to 2 conferences as a contingency plan. My guess it was Sunbelt and Summit and with us likely going to the Sunbelt, football is certainly on the table for the future.

Quote    Reply   

FoUTASportscaster

Maverick

#12 [url]

May 1 12 4:39 PM

The Summit seems unlikely, since Oral Roberts jumped ship from there to the SLC. As far as prestige goes, there is no difference. Baseball is better than SLC and basketball is a wash. They don't sponsor football, which seems to be against the moves we have been making. Overall, the SLC is a better conference, with lower travel costs. I gotta say though, it is hard to get excited about a SunBelt bid.

Quote    Reply   

GiantBenMav

Alumni

#13 [url]

May 1 12 8:58 PM

i still believe there will be some sort of WAC / Sunbelt merger ... they are the only two left at the dance ...

to me the Sunbelt sounds less prestigious then the WAC, but really what is left of the WAC is on par with the Sunbelt and is a hell of a lot farther in terms of travel ...

Quote    Reply   

Duck

Maverick

#17 [url]

May 4 12 4:27 PM

runamuck wrote:
not so fast..no invitation has actually been sent us....

It is certainly dangerous to make assumptions. I am constantly surprised not to hear Lamar, Sam Houston or SFA get any mention in the realignment musical chairs game. It is hilarious that our presence in the DFW media market matters more than our lack of a football team. This is especially so, since the DFW media outlets, both print and broadcast tend to totally ignore our school.

I mean really: There was minimal recognition of our huge basketball winning streak and almost zero acknowledgment of our baseball wins over UT, TAMU, OU, Baylor and TCU. Until the local media finally gets on the band wagon, UTA will be the best-kept secret in Division One. It may not change when we get football. Likely, we will have to play at Jerryworld to get any notice, and at that, we will be the "David" in some huge "David and Goliath" mismatches.

By contrast, UTSA really has had it nice, being the only game in town and taking on the likes of Texas Lutheran in the Alamodome. It was attendance figures that got them invited into the C-USA, and for the same reason, I think Lamar should be considered for Sun Belt membership, perhaps before UTA.

Quote    Reply   

GiantBenMav

Alumni

#18 [url]

May 6 12 10:00 PM

Interesting article on the Bleacher Report about how UTA could be the key to saving the WAC

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1173 ... ng-members

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help