Remove this ad

FoUTASportscaster

Maverick

#21 [url]

Dec 3 13 7:47 AM

Re: Curious Karl Benson quote

So I dug a bit deeper to find info (the NCAA site is near useless) and found this site.

http://www.troester.com/gym/WRankings/2 ... eamAll.htm

There are only 82 teams in all of the NCAA. There is only Division I. Makes me wonder why so few. It would be a revenue sport, as most attendance averages were above 700, but there has to be a reason so few are doing it.

If UTA did add it, we'd be the best fit for the Midwest Independent gymnastic conference which contain Centenary, Lindenwood, Illinois St, Illinois-Chicago, SE Missouri St and Texas Woman's. Nearby bigger name schools are OU, Arkansas, Alabama and Auburn. The largest concentration of schools seem to be the West Coast, Rust Belt and Northeast, though there are eight SEC schools too.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

Duck

Maverick

#22 [url]

Dec 7 13 6:44 PM

Maybe we can get the gatekeeper to move our gymnastics thread out of "football" and into "Women's Sports."

I'm really interested in this line of investigation and think it would be a worthy topic to bring up to the AD. My daughter (coach, judge and former NCAA athlete) will be in town for one of her two her sons' meets in Dallas in February. She would love to talk to anybody interested, and perhaps put Mr. Baker in touch with a current NCAA coache who could talk details, dollars and cents about this potential revenue sport.

Quote    Reply   

grumpdogg

Senior

#23 [url]

Dec 9 13 9:42 PM

I actually played a soccer game there against Martin when I was in high school. I also ran the men's soccer club at UTA while I was in school and wanted to play a couple games there, but we would have had to pay the athletic department to play so we played on the intramural fields which were not nearly as good as they are now. Maverick Stadium is soccer ready right now, though I don't know how many girls would like to play on turf. The most common injuries in women's soccer are knee injuries. I know far too many women soccer players who wear the badge of ACL surgery on their knee. I say as the women's team starts up, take one of the intramural soccer fields and add enough seating to make it a game day field.

Quote    Reply   

FoUTASportscaster

Maverick

#24 [url]

Dec 10 13 8:29 AM

If they follow the pattern of most other schools, UTA would build a combo soccer/track & field stadium. Some P5 schools have separate venues for both, but soccer/t&f combos are quite common.

If we then brought back football, the next step would be to remove the track at Maverick Stadium, lower the field and add seating.

...if we followed what other schools did.

Quote    Reply   

Duck

Maverick

#25 [url]

Dec 10 13 9:43 PM

Thanks for returning the Football topic to Football. Yes, I could see us lowering the field and adding seats. When Mack Brown gets here, we will need to do lots of things to help him out-do what Larry Coker has done at UTSA, and one of the first things will be to have a decent on-campus football facility. I'm a little bit concerned about the relative lack of parking areas near Maverick Stadium, so am still open to the idea of an all-new football complex to be built on the current site of the south 40 parking lot. Perhaps Doug Russell park could be relocated to the southwest as well.

Seriously, wouldn't it be cool if we could lure a big name like Mack Brown to Arlington?

Quote    Reply   

FoUTASportscaster

Maverick

#26 [url]

Dec 11 13 8:08 AM

Parking isn't an issue. Counting the spots by the academic buildings, there are roughly 1,000 spots in the immediate vicinity of the stadium. That is more than some P5 schools. Many others will walk as they either live on campus, near campus or in the vicinity. At these other schools, shuttle buses run from outlying lots to their stadiums. UTA could easily do that. One of the things most other schools do that we couldn't is connect to the city/regional transit system. The best we could do is try to persuade DART to extend the contract shuttle from CPC to Maverick Stadium on game day.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

Duck

Maverick

#28 [url]

Dec 24 13 3:13 PM

Lots of things seem to be happening below the radar. I wonder what they are doing with all the space that was freed up in Maverick Stadium offices when they moved to the CPC. Or maybe I'm wrong and there wasn't any space opened up.

In an unrelated matter, I saw former UTA player and Dallas businessman Jerry Mecca at the CSBakersfield basketball game Saturday, wearing a UTA Mavericks football jersey he had had specially made (#47). He had another one he gave to Pete Carlon, but somehow he forgot to bring one for me or my bride.

Quote    Reply   

FoUTASportscaster

Maverick

#29 [url]

Mar 25 14 8:27 PM

The Sun Belt Board posted something about membership standards. As I was reading it, I ran across something very interesting. This is from 2007.

[quote]Membership Standards

1. Member institutions are expected to sponsor a minimum of fifteen (15) sports in which the conference offers a championship. There shall be a five-year (2012-2013) grace period for UNO and Denver to reach this standard.

2. Institutions considering candidates for head coaching positions in core sports shall insure that there is a diverse pool of candidates considered for the position.

3. Any future members must sponsor IA football, men’s and women’s basketball, baseball, softball, and volleyball or women’s soccer.

This isn't a binding contract and did come in when Wright Waters was the commish, not Karl Benson, but we only have 14 sports and football is not one. It could be that the conference thought they were in a bind so bad that they had to discard their own guidelines. Or it is like everything else, almost inconsequential on its own, but taken with the others, adds up to something.

Quote    Reply   

GiantBenMav

Alumni

#32 [url]

Aug 8 14 3:53 PM

that is interesting ....

Buddy Christ Says: Go Mavs !!!

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help