Remove this ad

UTArlingtonMaverick

Grad Student

Lead

Apr 11 13 8:13 PM

Tags : :

This looks like a great hire! I'm excited again about girls' basketball.

http://www.utamavs.com/sports/w-baskbl/ ... 13aab.html
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

GiantBenMav

Alumni

#1 [url]

Apr 11 13 8:33 PM

Re: New head basketball coach

College coach with experience ... Played under an all-time great ... Gets my vote...

Buddy Christ Says: Go Mavs !!!

Quote    Reply   

UTArlingtonMaverick

#2 [url]

Apr 11 13 8:46 PM

Coached under all-time great, too.

One of three players at Tech to have her number retired.

Big winner at her last coaching gig.

Intangible: she LOOKS the part...in her prime...moving-up...ATTRACTIVE.

Has a family, too. That's a plus in my book and to a lot of recruits and their parents.

Quote    Reply   

GiantBenMav

Alumni

#3 [url]

Apr 12 13 10:17 AM

good style as well ... big emphasis on Defense and rebounding ... fast pace on offense ... that style has worked here before ...

Quote    Reply   

FoUTASportscaster

Maverick

#4 [url]

Apr 12 13 1:21 PM

Add the fact that she is coming in to a great situation, new facility, premier in the region and conference, supportive admin with a budget near the top in the conference and a returning cast. Only one player was a senior this year. How many will transfer out, I don't know and that could make a big difference, but I do believe that this team could be competitive next year.

Quote    Reply   

GiantBenMav

Alumni

#5 [url]

Apr 12 13 1:54 PM

It should of been competitive this year, in my opinion ... hopefully the majority stay, but if she needs to trim some fat off the roster ... to ensure she has the players who she wants and who want to be here, then so be it ...

Quote    Reply   

Duck

Maverick

#6 [url]

Apr 12 13 5:06 PM

This is a hopeful development. Next, we need to do something about Volleyball. Within a couple of years, we could have dominant teams in all the women's sports. How cool would that be!

Quote    Reply   

FoUTASportscaster

Maverick

#7 [url]

Apr 13 13 9:54 AM

That's what we used to have. In the early part of this century, all women's sports were competitor's for conference championships. Janine Smith and the volleyball team were constant SLC threats, Donna Capps began the rebuilding process of basketball, the cross country and track teams were consistent contenders with Monte Stratton and current coach John Sauerhage and the softball team, with Debbie Hedrick, was entering a period where they were always up there with Texas State. They made up for our mens teams, which aside from tennis, golf, and occasionally baseball, were always middle of the pack.

Quote    Reply   

Duck

Maverick

#8 [url]

Apr 13 13 4:40 PM

FoUTASportscaster wrote:
That's what we used to have. In the early part of this century, all women's sports were competitor's for conference championships. Janine Smith and the volleyball team were constant SLC threats, Donna Capps began the rebuilding process of basketball, the cross country and track teams were consistent contenders with Monte Stratton and current coach John Sauerhage and the softball team, with Debbie Hedrick, was entering a period where they were always up there with Texas State. They made up for our mens teams, which aside from tennis, golf, and occasionally baseball, were always middle of the pack.
All true, and remember the Men's and Women's Tennis teams under Patrick DuBois and "Moose" Wasmer. We're still pretty good, but not regularly in the top 25 as we were a few years ago. At one point we had the number one player in the NCAA, Andy Lieber. Alas, Patrick went back to Louisiana and Moose returned to Germany.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

FoUTASportscaster

Maverick

#9 [url]

Apr 13 13 9:24 PM

I interviewed Andy Lieber on my student radio show. I bet he was a fun guy to hang around. He had a sly, reserved humor that gave me the sense that if he was comfortable, the good times would roll.

Quote    Reply   

runamuck

#12 [url]

Nov 15 13 7:03 AM

I thought the girls would do better this year, but they look bad. cant even beat teams like houston babptist and incarnate word.

Quote    Reply   

FoUTASportscaster

Maverick

#14 [url]

Nov 15 13 11:12 AM

I don't know how anyone thought this year would be anything other than a rebuilding year. Morrow was a really good floor general. It was her recruiting that was sub-par. Remember, she won a few more regular season and tournament championships right after she replaced Capps. But it was a slow decline that resulted in not having enough talent replace what left.

By all accounts, the freshman and newcomers are solid, but it takes time. Remember, we were also picked last in the preseason coaches poll, so this isn't a surprise to them.

That said, I can't say I am happy losing to a DII transitioning school at home. No matter the players, we recruited them to be a DI school and most of theirs were recruited to be DII.

Quote    Reply   

GiantBenMav

Alumni

#15 [url]

Nov 16 13 8:54 AM

Yeah, losing at home to a DII is pretty much a low-point for the program ... young team, new coach, guess it HAS to be a rebuilding year ...

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help