Remove this ad

UTAMavalum83

Senior

#21 [url]

Jun 1 13 8:21 PM

Re: The More Things Change....

Duck wrote:
Oy. The Belt is free to have a silly Buddist-looking bent wagon wheel symbol if it wants. It's not like we would oppose anything that is Royal Blue and Burnt Orange. In fact, even if we hated the new logo, it would not signify, since we are not actually full members of the SBC. We cannot be considered full members until we field teams in the two most popular sports in Texas, Football and Spring Football.

Well said!

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

FoUTASportscaster

Maverick

#22 [url]

Jun 2 13 8:55 PM

Duck wrote:
Oy. The Belt is free to have a silly Buddist-looking bent wagon wheel symbol if it wants. It's not like we would oppose anything that is Royal Blue and Burnt Orange. In fact, even if we hated the new logo, it would not signify, since we are not actually full members of the SBC. We cannot be considered full members until we field teams in the two most popular sports in Texas, Football and Spring Football.

I am going to slap you with a wet noodle. We have a damn good mid-major athletics program, thank you. The Sun Belt got a better by adding us.

Quote    Reply   

UTAMavalum83

Senior

#23 [url]

Jun 2 13 9:43 PM

FoUTASportscaster wrote:
Duck wrote:

I am going to slap you with a wet noodle. We have a damn good mid-major athletics program, thank you. The Sun Belt got a better by adding us.

Yeah, but I doubt very many of our Conference mates feel that way; they're already very good in baseball, they do seem to need us for basketball - but I think most of the fans wish we played FB. You've been on that board, Fo; I'm sure you've picked that up.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

FoUTASportscaster

Maverick

#24 [url]

Jun 3 13 8:03 AM

Some sure, but many of them admitted they don't care about any other sport. The sad thing is, for a mid-major conference like the Sun Belt, basketball can bring in more revenue. If the Sun Belt were to get multiple teams in or find a team that can win a game or two, the revenue distributed to the conference would be more than any for the bowl appearances. In fact, the teams that don't go to a bowl actually get more money than the teams that do, since the payout to the conference is the same.

The women's basketball tournament is taking in more and more revenue as more of the tourney becomes televised. Same with softball and baseball. These will all bring in money if the SBC does well.

It isn't about favoritism, but financials. At our level, the G5, football just doesn't bring in the conference profits like the other sports can. If they can break into the big bowls like Northern Illinois did, then that would change, but since there has never been a team in the top 25 from the SBC, it will be a long road to climb.

Quote    Reply   

UTAMavalum83

Senior

#25 [url]

Jun 9 13 6:57 PM

FoUTASportscaster wrote:
Some sure, but many of them admitted they don't care about any other sport. The sad thing is, for a mid-major conference like the Sun Belt, basketball can bring in more revenue. If the Sun Belt were to get multiple teams in or find a team that can win a game or two, the revenue distributed to the conference would be more than any for the bowl appearances. In fact, the teams that don't go to a bowl actually get more money than the teams that do, since the payout to the conference is the same.

The women's basketball tournament is taking in more and more revenue as more of the tourney becomes televised. Same with softball and baseball. These will all bring in money if the SBC does well.

It isn't about favoritism, but financials. At our level, the G5, football just doesn't bring in the conference profits like the other sports can. If they can break into the big bowls like Northern Illinois did, then that would change, but since there has never been a team in the top 25 from the SBC, it will be a long road to climb.

Kind like adding New Mexico State . . . for FB only. What were they thinking? With NMSU's NCAA Tournament history (granted they haven't advanced in many years, but they do get there), the Aggies would help raise the bar in Sun Belt play. Same with their baseball program. I realize FB has been the Belt's success story of late (and yes, I do want us to get there with them), but you are oh so right about the dollars that could come from success in other sports.

Quote    Reply   

Duck

Maverick

#26 [url]

Mar 7 14 4:47 PM

Scatter shooting:

Does anyone know how many games we have played in "Buncik Orange" uniforms? I believe we are 2-6 in orange on the men's side, but this is just a guess. Add the many women's losses and the orange record doubtless would look even worse. Of course, the main reason I am posting here is to totally "Duck" the site.
[quote]And why not point out how we have quite a DNA - as one of the only schools in Texas to have been under both major systems - making our hand spirit symbol most appropriate (i.e. half of each)? I enjoy telling aggies that we left the A&M system so that college station could be the largest school in that system.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help