Remove this ad

Duck

Maverick

Maverick

Lead

Mar 13 13 8:21 PM

Tags : :

I know this is not academic, but here is another example of our longstanding tradition of constant change. I noticed that the "official UTA ring" that was launched with some fanfare a couple years ago has been changed. In particular, the "UTA Spirit Logo" walking A (that was originally designed by the late baseball coach Clay Gould) has been kicked off campus as follows:
[quote]For anyone that wants to trade in their previously purchased ring for one with the new design on top, please contact Balfour at 1-866-225-3687. Gold rings can be remade with the new logo for $125 and silver rings can be remade for $100. This offer is available until January 31. At the request of the University, the Alumni Association, Athletics and other departments on campus have been asked to stop using the UTA spirit logo.Emphasis added. http://utaalumni.org/s/1379/social.aspx?sid=1379&gid=1&pgid=408

I would really like to know if the same evil genius that changed the school colors and the alma mater was also involved in this, yet another unilateral decision. It's funny how things get done so quickly when there is no voting involved....

While we are thinking about it, maybe we should try to list all the changes we have seen since first walking on campus.
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

UTAMavalum83

Senior

#2 [url]

Mar 14 13 1:19 PM

Re: The More Things Change....

So true. Very disheartening. Traditions at UTA are changed like . . . socks. Disposable socks. When will it finally stop?

I truly wish someone would put together something that shows how the new horse head . . . appears somewhat like a successor to the old (I hated it) 70's horse with horns, when we first became the Mavericks - if only because it would show some accidental continuity.

If we ever do bring back football, Nike could have a field day doing a Pro Combat uni with royal blue, RED, dreamsicle orange and silver (remember the good looking helmets under the Chuck Curtis era?).

The military is this school's foundation; yet no one celebrates the Sam Houston Rifles anymore, the historic cannons we used to keep on campus - the fact that by a slim margin, we almost changed our mascot to the Cadets.

And why not point out how we have quite a DNA - as one of the only schools in Texas to have been under both major systems - making our hand spirit symbol most appropriate (i.e. half of each)?

Quote    Reply   

UTArlingtonMaverick

#3 [url]

Mar 14 13 5:42 PM

I guess I am a definite minority on this site: I like the changes.

But, I did dislike that "walking" A logo, and like the refinement MUCH better. So, yeah, if I had a ring with the walking A, I'd want the new logo.

The new logo is set for a long time.
The colors are set for a long time, too. Perhaps far, far into the future.
Alma mater tune tweak is set for a long, long, time, too.
So, I think many of the changes or modifications that you few traditionalists disapprove of his coming to a halt.

To me, a lot of it is progress...some things were unsettled or unsatisfactory to me, and the changes, for me, are settling some things.

As I walk around campus, I am blown away by the amazing physical changes. Our campus is now fairly impressive. Next thing I'd like to see in the library mall redone into something special, complete with a campanile....and anxious to hear bells peal across campus.

Yes, I would like to see more visibility for the cannon (this is plural), the cadets, and Sam Houston rifles. Neat stuff. Hereford's head is cool. I like the student history displays in the University Center...a good preservation of memories. I don't want them to take out the bowling alley for more student org space. I'd rather see the old part of the University Center (west side) torn down for something newer and better.

this is my ramble.

Quote    Reply   

Duck

Maverick

#4 [url]

Mar 14 13 7:55 PM

[quote]I guess I am a definite minority on this site: I like the changes.Well, that's the truth. But it may be you're just too new to see your baseline of UTA expectations ripped out and changed. I felt the same way at one point many moons ago. For example, I considered it a good thing when they blocked the streets through the middle of campus and made a pedestrian mall. A certain amount of change is inevitable and good. But possibly some old former cadets did not like the change. Let me see if I can make a quick list of changes I've seen:
ASC to UTA - 1967
Rebels to Mavericks - 1971
Red trim added to athletic uniforms - some time in the 70s. Prior to that we had blue and white.
Carlisle Cannons - first appeared or reappeared in the 70s or 80s. There were six of them in 1985. Now only two are left.
Davis Hall renamed Brazos Hall - the 80s?
Official UTA ring. It changed three times between 1966 and 1971. Several times since.
Alma Mater. Tune was "Finlandia" until it was changed in approximately 1965. Changed again in 2012.
Fight Song. Changed from Dixie to something else in 1971. That one flopped, so they changed it to "The Whip" in the early 70s, then also the theme from "Giant." Recently "The Whip" and "Giant" have been played as a medley. Neither tune has a verse or bridge, but just a chorus. (I hope the guy who re-wrote the Alma Mater will fix the fight song.)
Red to Orange - 2010 or thereabouts. Truly an outrage, based on the rumor that the Regents have mandated the change.
I'll think of others, but those are the most memorable to me. BTW, my "Official UTA Ring" has the ugly horse with one horn. I wish I could trade it in for one with a rebel flag on it.

Quote    Reply   

FoUTASportscaster

Maverick

#5 [url]

Mar 15 13 10:33 PM

The point for me is when does it stop. I was in a discussion with a friend about these changes and he was for them. I asked him how many times OU has changed their logo. He said that wasn't the same thing and I said why not. His response was that it is too recognizable and branded. I asked him how are we ever going to get there if we keep changing it ever 3-5 years. He didn't have a response.

We started on the colors. He relayed a story about how he was on campus at OSU and they noticed all the orange that students were wearing. He said it was a student pride thing. At UTA, people wear blue, but because it is such a common color, folks aren't wearing it for the school. That made a little sense, but blue and white are classy. However, my beef isn't changing the colors so much as what it was changed to. I do not like orange. We are already UT-Almost to our hecklers and now that. Plus, if every UT system school has it, how unique are we? He said at least it isn't burnt orange and I said so the regents are forcing every school to have the same shade orange except the "main" one? The whole thing is bogus to me.

Quote    Reply   

UTAMavalum83

Senior

#6 [url]

Mar 16 13 6:53 AM

FoUTASportscaster wrote:
The point for me is when does it stop. I was in a discussion with a friend about these changes and he was for them. I asked him how many times OU has changed their logo. He said that wasn't the same thing and I said why not. His response was that it is too recognizable and branded. I asked him how are we ever going to get there if we keep changing it ever 3-5 years. He didn't have a response.

We started on the colors. He relayed a story about how he was on campus at OSU and they noticed all the orange that students were wearing. He said it was a student pride thing. At UTA, people wear blue, but because it is such a common color, folks aren't wearing it for the school. That made a little sense, but blue and white are classy. However, my beef isn't changing the colors so much as what it was changed to. I do not like orange. We are already UT-Almost to our hecklers and now that. Plus, if every UT system school has it, how unique are we? He said at least it isn't burnt orange and I said so the regents are forcing every school to have the same shade orange except the "main" one? The whole thing is bogus to me.

I LOVE IT. LOVE IT, LOVE IT, LOVE IT. Fo and I actually agree on something (and wholeheartedly at that). Wow.

Quote    Reply   

UTAMavalum83

Senior

#7 [url]

Mar 16 13 6:56 AM

FoUTASportscaster wrote:
Orange is my big beef.

At least the Athletic Department has stuck to the majority blue with the new Adidas unis. I applaud Baker (or whomever was responsible) for that. Orange trim only, if at all; I really hate seeing Blaze walk around CPC in an orange jersey (or the cheerleaders in all orange).

Quote    Reply   

hooch

#8 [url]

Mar 16 13 7:57 AM

Coach Buncik is the main person behind the uniforms. Personally, I hate the partnership with Adidas as thy make the worst uniforms in all college sports. I definitely like last year's set of Jordan units better than the Bulls-esque threads they have now.

But in talk with Buncik, he mentioned he wants a more prominent alternate (ie not just a one-game use) that would mainly be orange. So don't worry fellas, an orange Adidas jersey is happening soon (hopefully not that Zubaz crap that's been on display the last two years by Adidas).

Quote    Reply   

UTArlingtonMaverick

#9 [url]

Mar 16 13 10:32 AM

The mention of OU brought something to mind: flagships, by their nature, have very stable traditions. And, it is not unusual for non-flagship publics that came of age or were founded post-WWII (1946 to 1965, roughly) to experience a lot of changes. For instance, a peer institution such as UNC Charlotte comes to mind for me. There are many, many others. And, tossed on top for us were some unique circumstances, the most notable which was the misfortune to fall in love with an Old South theme that was cool at the time but not sustainable. (Others, too, have been bitten with by their mascots, e.g., Ark State Indians.)

I can't offer any consolidation to anybody who doesn't like the orange; personally, in my life, I try to simply accept what I can't change. Keeping myself agitated or to perhaps dwell on something unchangable doesn't do me any good. (Sorry, I am probably getting into psycho-babble for which I am really not qualified to offer advice, especially about school colors. lol).

I do think what has been modified or changed is settling a lot.

Color usage: set, and primary blue and white going back deep into our history is still there
Alma mater tune tweak: set. Love how the U is now pushing it, and that I can SING it. I think is beautiful, and it was done by one of our own. BTW, words UNCHANGED since the 1930s or so.
Logo: set
Maverick nickname: set. Took a while to embrace, but we finally have, to our advantage
University name: set and stable since 1967

Even amongst all the amazing physical changes, I am grate that the U preserved the historic structures along the Second St. mall. I get a feeling of history there, and with the beautiful granite blocks and sitting area which preserve past seals and names. Preserving those buildings, btw, is obvious with today's sustainability and preservation movements, but not back in the 1970s when those decisions were made.

I am also grateful for all the new traditions that have been formed over the last decade, e.g., Mavericks Meet convocation. Grateful for the fun and very established traditions, too, e.g., Bed Races, Oozball. Those are brilliant.

Quote    Reply   

UTAMavalum83

Senior

#10 [url]

Mar 16 13 12:22 PM

Duck wrote:
[quote]I guess I am a definite minority on this site: I like the changes.
Well, that's the truth. But I maybe you're just too new to see your baseline of UTA expectations ripped out and changed. I felt the same way at one point many moons ago. For example, I considered it a good thing when they blocked the streets through the middle of campus and made a pedestrian mall. A certain amount of change is inevitable and good. But possibly some old former cadets did not like the change. Let me see if I can make a quick list of changes I've seen:
ASC to UTA - 1967
Red trim added to athletic uniforms - some time in the 70s. Prior to that we had blue and white.
Carlisle Cannons - first appeared or reappeared in the 70s or 80s. There were six of them in 1985. Now only two are left.
Official UTA ring. It changed three times between 1966 and 1971. Several times since.
Alma Mater. Tune was "Finlandia" until it was changed in approximately 1965. Changed again in 2012.
Fight Song. Changed from Dixie to something else in 1971. That one flopped, so they changed it to "The Whip" in the early 70s, then also the theme from "Giant." Recently "The Whip" and "Giant" have been played as a medley. Neither tune has a verse or bridge, but just a chorus. (I hope the guy who re-wrote the Alma Mater will fix the fight song.)
Red to Orange - 2010 or thereabouts. Truly an outrage, based on the rumor that the Regents have mandated the change.
I'll think of others, but those are the most memorable to me. BTW, my "Official UTA Ring" has the ugly horse with one horn. I wish I could trade it in for one with a rebel flag on it.

Actually, I found this picture of a former Rebel player (Jim Marcum) - that shows a red stripe on his football pants; take a look:

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

UTAMavalum83

Senior

#11 [url]

Mar 16 13 12:30 PM

hooch wrote:
Coach Buncik is the main person behind the uniforms. Personally, I hate the partnership with Adidas as thy make the worst uniforms in all college sports. I definitely like last year's set of Jordan units better than the Bulls-esque threads they have now.

But in talk with Buncik, he mentioned he wants a more prominent alternate (ie not just a one-game use) that would mainly be orange. So don't worry fellas, an orange Adidas jersey is happening soon (hopefully not that Zubaz crap that's been on display the last two years by Adidas).

Kudos Coach Buncik:

Didn't say I loved Adidas; would prefer to see Nike's, myself.

And if we're gonna go with a "more prominent alternative" - then at least include a tip of the cap/throw a bone to us old-timer traditionalists (whom one poster thinks need counseling; really, bud?) and include a red stripe or two on it. We did reach our first 20-win basketball season in it (and wore it to Mobile, Alabama in the first round of the NIT).

Quote    Reply   

Duck

Maverick

#12 [url]

Mar 16 13 2:51 PM

Is anyone else here a geek or former geek? In that world, there is something called "Change Control." It is an administrative mechanism by which, ideally, changes are vetted according to a process that ensures the proposed changes make sense and will work for the long run, keeping collateral damage to a minimum and recognizing potential consequences of the proposed change.

My modest proposal is that UTA should have a "Change Control" process to preserve, protect and defend long-term traditions from encroachment. In many cases, I'm sure that "changers" can make a case for their proposed changes, and by following this kind of process they can build consensus and avoid provoking some of the knee-jerk opposition that comes up as a natural consequence of a perceived lack of respect.

As long-term Mavericks, we have a certain amount of investment and emotional equity, and it would be wise for the powers that be to show at least a token bit of sensitivity and seek our buy-in.

I'm sure that most persons would've been in favor of the new Alma Mater tune, and that it would have sailed through "Change Control." But maybe not so much for Coach Buncik's orange uniforms. I hate orange.

Quote    Reply   

FoUTASportscaster

Maverick

#13 [url]

Mar 17 13 12:38 AM

I hate how we can't seem to figure out what our primary color is. I saw a car sticker today that had "University of Texas Arlington" in all orange. That is not trim. Too much UTA merchandise is being covered in dominant orange or primary orange. I swear, we will see a day in the not-to-distant future where that will be our primary color.

Quote    Reply   

grumpdogg

Senior

#14 [url]

Mar 17 13 12:59 AM

FoUTASportscaster wrote:
I hate how we can't seem to figure out what our primary color is. I saw a car sticker today that had "University of Texas Arlington" in all orange. That is not trim. Too much UTA merchandise is being covered in dominant orange or primary orange. I swear, we will see a day in the not-to-distant future where that will be our primary color.

At this point I wish they would just pick one and be consistent. It is starting like we are a revolving door of identities instead of just owning one.

Quote    Reply   

UTAMavalum83

Senior

#16 [url]

Mar 17 13 12:47 PM

Duck wrote:
[quote]I guess I am a definite minority on this site: I like the changes.
Well, that's the truth. But I maybe you're just too new to see your baseline of UTA expectations ripped out and changed. I felt the same way at one point many moons ago. For example, I considered it a good thing when they blocked the streets through the middle of campus and made a pedestrian mall. A certain amount of change is inevitable and good. But possibly some old former cadets did not like the change. Let me see if I can make a quick list of changes I've seen:
ASC to UTA - 1967

By the way, Duck - thanks for posting this. I knew the first half of the fight song was the whip (having heard Texas Tech play it - as well anytime I've gone to the FW Stockshow rodeo), but had never heard the last part was taken from the theme from Giant. Good to know that. We almost need to put together a history of traditions.

I can barely remember Johnny Reb riding around the Memorial Stadium track on a horse after each touchdown - and have seen the pictures of the rider on the back of the horse with horns at Turnpike Stadium, too. That used to be an institution. So to an extent, the horse connection has been here for some time.

Quote    Reply   

Duck

Maverick

#17 [url]

Mar 17 13 12:57 PM

Here's an interesting little factoid. The official UTA university seal, like the one for the Board of Regents, has Red as one of its colors in the outer ring.[url]http://www.utsystem.edu/board-of-regents/history/seal-university
[quote]In October 1905, The Board of Regents ordered the University seal devised by Professor William James Battle and recommended by President Houston be adopted by the Board.

In conformity with general usage, the design has as its central feature the shield form that shows the origin of heraldic arms. This shield is divided into two fields, the upper white, the lower orange, the University's colors. In the lower and larger field are the historic wreath and star of the Great Seal of the State of Texas; in the upper field is an open book, fit symbol of an institution of learning. The shield rests within a circle of blue, the color of sincerity, containing the motto, Disciplina Praesidium Civitatis. Around the disk of blue is a larger disk of red, color of strength, bearing the words, "Seal of The University of Texas." (empahsis added)

The motto, Disciplina Praesidium Civitatis, is the late Dr. Edwin W. Fay's terse Latin rendering of the famous quotation from Mirabeau B. Lamar, "Cultivated mind is the guardian genius of democracy."

The right half of the wreath is an olive branch, the left half a live oak branch. The shade of orange used is taken from the orange used in the arch of the entrance to the Student Union Building on the campus which has the best claim to being the official University orange. The shades of red, blue, and green are not officially designated, but are strong shades of these colors in conformity to heraldic usage.

-- Board of Regents' Minutes May 4, 1957

Quote    Reply   

UTAMavalum83

Senior

#18 [url]

Jun 1 13 2:55 PM

Duck wrote:

Here's an interesting little factoid. The official UTA university seal, like the one for the Board of Regents, has Red as one of its colors in the outer ring.[url]http://www.utsystem.edu/board-of-regents/history/seal-university
[quote]In October 1905, The Board of Regents ordered the University seal devised by Professor William James Battle and recommended by President Houston be adopted by the Board.

In conformity with general usage, the design has as its central feature the shield form that shows the origin of heraldic arms. This shield is divided into two fields, the upper white, the lower orange, the University's colors. In the lower and larger field are the historic wreath and star of the Great Seal of the State of Texas; in the upper field is an open book, fit symbol of an institution of learning. The shield rests within a circle of blue, the color of sincerity, containing the motto, Disciplina Praesidium Civitatis. Around the disk of blue is a larger disk of red, color of strength, bearing the words, "Seal of The University of Texas." (empahsis added)

The motto, Disciplina Praesidium Civitatis, is the late Dr. Edwin W. Fay's terse Latin rendering of the famous quotation from Mirabeau B. Lamar, "Cultivated mind is the guardian genius of democracy."

The right half of the wreath is an olive branch, the left half a live oak branch. The shade of orange used is taken from the orange used in the arch of the entrance to the Student Union Building on the campus which has the best claim to being the official University orange. The shades of red, blue, and green are not officially designated, but are strong shades of these colors in conformity to heraldic usage.

-- Board of Regents' Minutes May 4, 1957

So glad you shared this too, Duck; it's further proof that red isn't (or wasn't) here by accident. It's been a prominent part of UTA's (okay, UT Arlington's) history for some time now. Why in the world then would it be totally abandoned? Just like why would there be so much new sentiment for the dreamsicle/Florida orange? I'm afraid Fo may be right; it's just a matter of time until we're primary orange (or at least it sure appears that way).

Quote    Reply   

UTAMavalum83

Senior

#19 [url]

Jun 1 13 2:59 PM

And as it also relates, here's the UT Arlington version of the new Sun Belt Conference logo - which will appear on the College Park Center floor (if it's not there already). Hmm; same colors as the Mozilla Firefox logo . . . .
--------------------

Click here to view the attachment

Quote    Reply   

Duck

Maverick

#20 [url]

Jun 1 13 6:58 PM

Oy. The Belt is free to have a silly Buddist-looking bent wagon wheel symbol if it wants. It's not like we would oppose anything that is Royal Blue and Burnt Orange. In fact, even if we hated the new logo, it would not signify, since we are not actually full members of the SBC. We cannot be considered full members until we field teams in the two most popular sports in Texas, Football and Spring Football.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help