Remove this ad

80sAlum

Alumni

Alumni

Lead

Feb 15 13 9:41 AM

Tags : :

So our new president comes from Alabama - Huntsville.....where they do not play football. Prior to that he was at UC-San Diego.....where they don't play football. Just an observation.
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

FoUTASportscaster

Maverick

#1 [url]

Feb 15 13 2:47 PM

Re: New Prez

Those don't mean anything.

Using that string of thought, Witt would have disbanded the Alabama Tide team and Spaniolo would have brought football here.

Quote    Reply   

Duck

Maverick

#2 [url]

Feb 15 13 4:19 PM

FoUTASportscaster wrote:

Using that string of thought, Witt would have disbanded the Alabama Tide team and Spaniolo would have brought football here.

Thank you. A voice of sanity was sorely needed.

Quote    Reply   

FoUTASportscaster

Maverick

#3 [url]

Feb 15 13 8:50 PM

What I fully expect any president to do is weigh the pros and cons of any decision. He will focus on academics and elevating UTA to tier one. I expect him to give Baker a voice at what he thinks, but will make what he thinks for this situation, not what it would have been at UAH.

Quote    Reply   

80sAlum

Alumni

#4 [url]

Feb 16 13 3:27 PM

Duck wrote:
FoUTASportscaster wrote:

Thank you. A voice of sanity was sorely needed.

Please share with me the "...string of thought...." I would love to know what I was thinking! My post actually called it an "observation", implied nothing more, nothing less. Interesting.

Quote    Reply   

FoUTASportscaster

Maverick

#5 [url]

Feb 16 13 7:58 PM

80sAlum wrote:
Please share with me the "...string of thought...." I would love to know what I was thinking! My post actually called it an "observation", implied nothing more, nothing less. Interesting.

In this metaphor, a string is a line that goes from point to point connecting a similar thought process or chaining a sequence of reasoning. In this case, the string is new pres from UAH------no football-----UC-San Diego------no football. Completing the string would mean he is no at UTA-----no football.

For us, saying just an observation implies that there is a belief or, in my intrepretation (I don't want to speak for Duck), a reason to believe that the new president will follow a similar path.

I personally put no stock in any past position. My belief is that a president of any U would weigh each decision as it relates to that particular school. I am not saying he will pursue a football program, but what I am saying is that past experiences show nothing one way or the other.

For the record, I am not saying you believe that one way or the other. Just pointing out there is nothing to decipher from his past stops (except that maybe he like to travel the country).

Quote    Reply   

GiantBenMav

Alumni

#6 [url]

Feb 17 13 1:47 PM

The only way I would care of about him being from a football institution is if he came from a school that just resurrected or started a program ... that would more than likely give him a strong position for (if it all went well) or against (if it went poorly or if he was not 100 % on board)

That is not the case here ... one of the strong points about him is he listens to students, as that was a frequent concern of the Student representative on the selection committee ...

If he is receptive and the students / athletic department / alumni make a convincing case then he will bring it back ... anything less and the status quo is what we should expect ...

Make no qualms about it, football is a HUGE decision ... and a very costly one at that ... no President should take it lightly ...

Buddy Christ Says: Go Mavs !!!

Quote    Reply   

Duck

Maverick

#8 [url]

Feb 26 13 9:39 PM

[quote]... one of the strong points about him is he listens to students, as that was a frequent concern of the Student representative on the selection committee ... Just out of curiosity, did Spanny have a good reputation as a "listener?" The students, alumni and other fans that I know who wanted football during his tenure felt stone-walled, patronized, delayed and dismissed. But hey, maybe that's not the overall impression he made on the students at large.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

GiantBenMav

Alumni

#9 [url]

Feb 27 13 7:35 PM

from what I have gathered he was generally well liked by the students and was credited as a good listener ... obviously when you deal with that many people there are going to be those that are unhappy ...

I have said a number of times I was disappointing about football, but he has delivered more for athletics than any other president in the last 20 years ... only thing that is close is the athletics fee in the tuition ... between the new arena, new conference, and baseball improvements (via his new athletic director) his contributions are significant ...

Quote    Reply   

GiantBenMav

Alumni

#10 [url]

Feb 27 13 7:39 PM

from what I have gathered he was generally well liked by the students and was credited as a good listener ... obviously when you deal with that many people there are going to be those that are unhappy ...

I have said a number of times I was disappointing about football, but he has delivered more for athletics than any other president in the last 20 years ... only thing that is close is the athletics fee in the tuition ... between the new arena, new conference, and baseball improvements (via his new athletic director) his contributions are significant ..

Quote    Reply   

UTArlingtonMaverick

#11 [url]

Feb 27 13 9:13 PM

Spaniolo has been exceptional...hate to see him go.

Of course, no leader can make everybody happy as much as he might like to. Naturally, the football people might be among those that tended to be unhappy or critical.

The next prez won't add football, either. I can tell you that, and it doesn't matter who gets the job.

Quote    Reply   

80sAlum

Alumni

#12 [url]

Mar 1 13 9:49 AM

Anyone read the Star T this AM? Announcement of $7.5M cash donation to UTA, largest single gift ever....hope the new prez can keep those dollars rolling in!

Quote    Reply   

UTAMavalum83

Senior

#13 [url]

Jun 6 13 5:35 PM

Sent me (and I imagine many of you) this by email on Monday; bold emphasis below is mine:

Monday, June 3, 2013

Together We Will Dream Lofty Dreams and Make Our Dreams a Reality

Dear Members of the UT Arlington Family:

I am delighted to join you today as president of The University of Texas at Arlington.

It is a tremendous honor for me to serve in this capacity at such an exciting time in the history and development of this wonderful institution. The passing of a torch is always a momentous occasion for it not only symbolizes transition, a celebration of achievements and of dreams yet to be fulfilled, but it also emphasizes continuity and progression—the orderly transfer of the gavel that symbolizes the stability and organizational integrity of an institution.

At the very outset I want to thank James D. Spaniolo for his outstanding stewardship of UT Arlington during the past decade. I'd also like to thank all of you for your hard work, dedication, and service. Without that, without your love for this institution, UT Arlington would not be where it is today—a shining star poised to make the leap to the highest levels of excellence.

This is indeed an exciting time to be at UT Arlington and to be working in higher education. UT Arlington is uniquely positioned to be a leader and a model for what a 21st-century urban university can be, and we are fortunate to have such a firm foundation on which to build. One of my favorite authors, Richard Bach, wrote, "You are never given a dream without also being given the power to make it come true." Our dream is to be the very best, to attain Tier One status, to be known internationally as the innovative leader in education, research, and service. Together we will chart a course that capitalizes on the tremendous talent and diversity of our students, faculty, and staff and will continue to build UT Arlington's growing national reputation, rapidly elevating it into the top ranks of major research institutions.

I plan to spend this summer getting to know you and finding out what's important to you, learning more about the University, its history and culture, and developing a better sense of the opportunities and challenges that lie ahead. I also plan to be fully engaged in the University community—meeting and getting to know our alumni, civic leaders, elected officials, corporate leaders, and neighbors. As I do this, I will seek your help, guidance, and support. Together we are a powerful force, and I am proud to be able to say, "I am a Maverick."

I'm pleased to report that my wife Lisa and I, along with our German shepherd Gabriella, moved into our new home in North Arlington just last week. We're still getting settled, but we very much look forward to becoming immersed in the campus life of this great University, in the Arlington community, and in the thriving, vibrant Metroplex that defines our region.

Lisa and I eagerly anticipate the opportunity to meet you during the weeks ahead. In fact, we are hosting our first event on campus this Friday, June 7—an informal reception from 10 a.m. to noon at the Maverick Activities Center. Please feel free to come by, say hello, and enjoy food and refreshments. We hope to see you there.

Meanwhile, should you have any questions or wish to contact me, please feel free to do so at vkarbhari@uta.edu or 817-272-2101.

I have had the pleasure of meeting many of you during my visits to campus in the past few months. Thank you for the kind welcome and hospitality you have extended. You have made Lisa and me feel right at home already.

I look forward to the journey that we will go on together.

Sincerely,
Vistasp M. Karbhari

Office of the President
300 Davis Hall, Box 19125
Arlington, Texas 76019-0125

vkarbhari@uta.edu
817-272-2101 (voice)
817-272-5656 (fax)

Messages Archive // About Vistasp M. Karbhari // Office of the President

© 2013 The University of Texas at Arlington. All Rights Reserved.

I look forward to meeting him, looking him in the eye (especially as a former Mr. UTA) - and telling him "Please consider bringing back football."

Quote    Reply   

UTAMavalum83

Senior

#14 [url]

Jun 9 13 10:34 PM

I send the man a welcome email - and he replied with thanks. I'm impressed that he's so open to hearing from us and can't wait to meet him.

Quote    Reply   

Duck

Maverick

#15 [url]

Apr 29 14 6:09 PM

I've heard that the new president has been making lots of changes in a relatively short time. The latest is an academic reorganization that will create a "University College" that all new students will initially be assigned to for a few core courses. Thus, for example, the entire class of 2019 will be in the same college within the university for their first semesters. I have no idea how this will work for incoming freshmen who have earned lots of advance credits in HS.

Another recent change was the elimination of Spaniolo's Convocation, generally a graduation party for the entire school, that was costing about $25K. It will be interesting to see how much push back President Karbhari gets over these and other changes. If he would just make one particular change in athletics, I would be his friend forever.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help