Remove this ad

UTAMavalum83

Senior

Senior

Lead

Feb 2 13 1:52 PM

Tags : :

. . . that if we don't restore football in the next 5 years, there'll be some unrest (we won't be too popular) in the SBC. Based on what I read on http://csnbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=296, they aren't real supportive of UA Little Rock, the only non-FB member right now - and no one seems to mind that Denver left for the WAC, either. Their league has transitioned from where it began to have more of a FB emphasis; check out the discussion about adding App State an Georgia Southern.

I'm just saying - I think it would be wise/to our advantage if we aren't going to bring back FB to take the lead and form a new version of a Metro or Central Conference, possibly including other well-located (i.e. metropolitan), mid-continent institutions that are competitive in basketball, baseball and track like -

Denver
Oral Roberts
UALR
UM Kansas City
UN Omaha
U New Orleans (of course they may add FB)
UT Arlington
Wichita State

This way we could be quite competitive (like the Catholic 7 that are leaving the Big East) and perhaps also leverage some better TV dollars.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

FoUTASportscaster

Maverick

#1 [url]

Feb 4 13 1:27 PM

Re: UT Arlington and the Sun Belt: Just keep in mind . . .

While I don't disagree with your conference list, I doubt something would happen.

First, I would base nothing upon internet message boards. These are soundboards for people who have no facts, just opinions. Some say they have official sources or personal contacts inside high places when, in reality, they are just spouting off what they believe. UALR and we are going to be just fine. Yes, they SBC has put a greater emphasis on football lately, but we wouldn't have been accepted if that we the only or even major factor.

We haven't committed in any way and don't even have a president. If football were the thing, Geo S would have been the next big move for the SBC, not us.

Quote    Reply   

UTArlingtonMaverick

#2 [url]

Feb 5 13 6:10 AM

Right. Don't put weight on some chatter on the SBC fan site. (As an aside, from what I see there, we do get some respect there.)

While I don't predict the Big 12 or SEC will ever come calling, I think there will always be a respectable conference for our sports.

Quote    Reply   

UTArlingtonMaverick

#3 [url]

Feb 5 13 9:16 PM

83, I see that you like to go to the SBC forum and get in pissing matches. lol
I usually steer clear of those, esp about throwing stones at others over attendance!!

Athletics is an area of the U where I usually exercise some modesty of tone on other boards. But, I am very bullish on the total university.

In the end, though, these boards are strictly entertainment...so I guess what the hell.

Quote    Reply   

UTAMavalum83

Senior

#4 [url]

Feb 6 13 8:58 PM

UTArlingtonMaverick wrote:
Right. Don't put weight on some chatter on the SBC fan site. (As an aside, from what I see there, we do get some respect there.)

While I don't predict the Big 12 or SEC will ever come calling, I think there will always be a respectable conference for our sports.

Don't get me wrong; I know it's the member institutions and their administrations that make the decisions, not those on the fan site or board. And you are correct, they do seem to respect UTA (for the most part). Yet FB is what turns the crank, what pays the bills. (And based on what some are paying, as Fo showed in the budgets - it had better pay BIG.)

Quote    Reply   

UTAMavalum83

Senior

#5 [url]

Feb 6 13 9:09 PM

83, I see that you like to go to the SBC forum and get in pissing matches. lol
I usually steer clear of those, esp about throwing stones at others over attendance!!

Athletics is an area of the U where I usually exercise some modesty of tone on other boards. But, I am very bullish on the total university.

In the end, though, these boards are strictly entertainment...so I guess what the hell.

Not necessarily - but I do like to stir the pot over there. As for the UNT guy, well whatever. Their FB attendance has been pitiful - and of course, they're having to eat A LOT of crow over their 12-13 men's basketball performance. I wouldn't get into any kind of match, if I were him.

When it comes to my Alma Mater, I'm with you. I don't have to be one bit modest. But I'm not going to hold anything back, either. Being a Double Maverick (two degrees), I'm probably just as bullish as you are (and possibly even more so). Yet these boards definitely are for fun and OPINIONS, rather than nothing but dry, analytical analysis. If that's kept in mind, it can be enjoyable to participate.

All I'm saying is UTA should be out there taking the lead; I think we've got the right guy doing that in the Athletic Director (and I hope the new President, whomever that will be, will be the same way).

Quote    Reply   

UTArlingtonMaverick

#6 [url]

Feb 6 13 9:27 PM

Great post, 83

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

UTAMavalum83

Senior

#7 [url]

Feb 6 13 9:54 PM

And as for me personally - I'm an open book; here's my "reputation report" from comments I've made on the Sun Belt board:

[quote]Reputation Report for UTAMavalum83

Summary

UTAMavalum83
(Water Engineer)

Total Reputation: 10

Reputation from Members: 1
Reputation from Posts: 5
Positives: 6
Neutrals: 0
Negatives: 0

Positives

Neutrals

Negatives

Last week

Last month

Last 6 months

Comments

WarhawkReport (-2) - Last updated 02-04-2013, 10:54 AM
Rating given for Post #8668093

Positive (+1): well said

Hilltopper2K (63) - Last updated 12-08-2012, 06:02 PM

Positive (+2): Wow. Didn't even know we had any UTA posters. And here is one with a post as great as this...

Burn the Horse (256) - Last updated 12-08-2012, 10:31 AM

Positive (+2): [No comment]

Turnberry79 (13) - Last updated 12-08-2012, 10:30 AM

Positive (+1): Good Post. You are absolutely correct!

TodgeRodge (-73) - Last updated 11-29-2012, 08:54 AM
Rating given for Post #8607512

Positive (+1): point

Burn the Horse (256) - Last updated 07-04-2012, 12:07 PM
Rating given for Post #8041549

Positive (+3): Welcome aboard!

Show: All VotesShow: Positive RatingsShow: Neutral RatingsShow: Negative RatingsSort by: Last UpdatedSort by: Username

Maybe if more of us went there and posted from time-to-time, they'd get an even better opinion of our University.

Quote    Reply   

UTAMavalum83

Senior

#9 [url]

Jun 1 13 2:44 PM

UTAMavalum83 wrote:

And as for me personally - I'm an open book; here's my "reputation report" from comments I've made on the Sun Belt board:

[quote]Reputation Report for UTAMavalum83

Summary

UTAMavalum83
(Water Engineer)

Total Reputation: 10

Reputation from Members: 1
Reputation from Posts: 5
Positives: 6
Neutrals: 0
Negatives: 0

Positives

Neutrals

Negatives

Last week

Last month

Last 6 months

Comments

WarhawkReport (-2) - Last updated 02-04-2013, 10:54 AM

Positive (+1): well said

Hilltopper2K (63) - Last updated 12-08-2012, 06:02 PM

Positive (+2): Wow. Didn't even know we had any UTA posters. And here is one with a post as great as this...

Burn the Horse (256) - Last updated 12-08-2012, 10:31 AM

Positive (+2): [No comment]

Turnberry79 (13) - Last updated 12-08-2012, 10:30 AM

Positive (+1): Good Post. You are absolutely correct!

TodgeRodge (-73) - Last updated 11-29-2012, 08:54 AM
Rating given for Post #8607512

Positive (+1): point

Burn the Horse (256) - Last updated 07-04-2012, 12:07 PM
Rating given for Post #8041549

Positive (+3): Welcome aboard!

Show: All VotesShow: Positive RatingsShow: Neutral RatingsShow: Negative RatingsSort by: Last UpdatedSort by: Username

Maybe if more of us went there and posted from time-to-time, they'd get an even better opinion of our University.

Kudos. Great to see how some of you/us (especially Fo and Runamuck) have gotten on the SBC board with gusto/enthusiasm. I'm proud to see you guys participate there the way you have.

Quote    Reply   

FoUTASportscaster

Maverick

#11 [url]

Jul 1 14 8:43 PM

Didn't want to start a new thread for this, so I dumped it here. The SBC welcomed four new members into the league today and put a cool video on the website.

http://www.sunbeltsports.org/splash.aspx?id=splash_16

There are a couple of sweet UTA basketball highlights from Reger Dowell and Lonnie McClanahan sprinkled in the mostly football dominated clip.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help