Remove this ad

FoUTASportscaster

Maverick

Maverick

Lead

Nov 28 12 7:29 PM

Tags : :

Ran across this article, http://www.examiner.com/article/uta-fin ... r-new-home. Full disclosure, the author is a good buddy of mine.

He does a really good job of comparing Texas Hall to CPC and what it means for UTA basketball.

He did mention one thing that I want to discuss.

[quote]In this case, the previous games and conference championship the team won last season is also a big advantage, along with the season-opening win at Cal State Bakersfield. This program isn't going into its opening game blindly like the old football team did in 1980; that team lost its inaugural game at Maverick Stadium and, after a losing season, never recovered in attendance for the remaining five years of the program's existence.

Cross and his group don't appear to have that problem or any such worries. All they see is the chance to make a statement against the Sooners in their first true home opener in the College Park Center.

I don't think this is a fair comparison. In 1979, UTA football finished 9-2, the best year from 1969 to the end of the program and finished second in the SLC. In 2011-12, UTA basketball finished with the most wins in school history and was first in the SLC. In 1980, UTA opened up against a high profile opponent in UNT (they had been consistently ranked during the mid-late '70's). In 2012, UTA opened up against a high profile opponent in UNT. There though the comparisons end. Maverick Stadium was a nice facility, but it wasn't state-of-the-art.

CPC, on the other hand, is. Although the capacity (7,000) might not be as high, it is an arena that is better than most in the Big 12. Of the ones I have been in, it is better than the Erwin Center (16,734) in Austin, Noble (11,528) in Norman, Ferrell (10,347) in Waco and Daniel-Meyer (7,201) in Fort Worth. In the area, it is better than the Super Pit (10,040) in Denton and Moody (8,998) in University Park. The only schools that have comparable or better facilities is the United Spirit Arena (15,020) in Lubbock, Reed Arena (12,989) in College Station and the Montagne Center (10,080) in Beaumont. The only regional schools on par or better with UTA that I haven't been to are Houston's and Rice's arenas.

If the arena keeps drawing record crowds, then the advantage grows.

Point is, even in 1980, Maverick Stadium never could compete with those caliber of schools. It was an above average SLC facility, but would have been hugely out of place in the SWC or Big 8.

CPC is really ushering in a new era of UTA athletics.
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

FoUTASportscaster

Maverick

#4 [url]

Jan 24 13 9:49 AM

Re: CPC 2012

I was certain that couldn't be it, because as you say there is no comparison. The article was a comparison of CPC to Texas Hall. To try to say that UTA can go from Texas Hall to Allen Fieldhouse or Cameron or any other storied basketball venue is uncomparable.

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help