Remove this ad

FoUTASportscaster

Maverick

Maverick

Lead

Aug 3 12 11:03 PM

Tags : :

I was looking over the roster and noticed how young this team is. There are no seniors on this team. Last year there was one junior, Charae Grosser. She played in 31 matches and started 28 of them.

On top of that, there are only three juniors. The rest of the team is composed of seven sophomores and five freshmen.
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

FoUTASportscaster

Maverick

#1 [url]

Aug 25 12 5:10 PM

Re: 2012 Volleyball

Went to my first match of the year as they played UTPA today. Overall, this is a really young, raw team, but they have the ability to play well.

Passes weren't as crisp as I would have liked. There were several times an outside hitter was in great position to slam one down, but the pass was off and they had to slow down to get it or tap it over.

Our blockers weren't dominant like some of our past teams. We really didn't redirect their offense with our blocking attempts. Unlike the passing and hitting, I don't think there is as much room for improvement here.

I think there is a good chance we will play better than the eighth spot picked by the preseason poll, but I'll reserve that until I see the SFA result. Us and the Jacks were almost always in the top third of the Southland, and I don't expect them to regress from that point. They were picked fifth in the preseason poll, so we will see how they end up. No surprise Central Arkansas, who has recently established a very good volleyball program and Oral Roberts were picked 1-2.

Quote    Reply   

UTArlingtonMaverick

#2 [url]

Aug 26 12 7:15 PM

Our volleyball coach is going to get a chance to show our new AD what she can do this year; she should have been gone long ago, but she has a fresh chance, to some extent, with the new AD. However, I don't think it is going to go particularly well.

Quote    Reply   

FoUTASportscaster

Maverick

#3 [url]

Sep 3 12 8:24 PM

I have to say, before tonight, I had faith in her. After losing tonight to Texas A&M-Corpus Christi in straight sets, I just don't know. In the past, our backups would have beaten them easily. Now we are getting swept? Wow.

Quote    Reply   

hooch

#5 [url]

Sep 5 12 12:59 PM

Yeah, I think she severely under utilized the talent she had a couple years ago (Aguilera, Sauls, Frantz, etc.). That should have and could have been a tournament-bound team. Just like Hedrick before her, Seymour's time has run its course.

I think next in line would be Morrow.

Quote    Reply   

UTArlingtonMaverick

#6 [url]

Sep 9 12 12:14 PM

anybody know when the volleyball coach's contract runs out?

that's a variable.

we can't keep her. gotta go. needed to go a long time ago. you'd think we were running a welfare program for coaches based on how she has been retained and retained. this blindness is a significant error of the previous athletic administration. it doesn't take a particularly astute observer to see that she has one and only one style of coaching and if a player doesn't fit in that exact way it doesn't work. you can't treat women as one size fits all. the sooner Baker makes a change, the better.

Quote    Reply   

GiantBenMav

Alumni

#7 [url]

Sep 9 12 1:57 PM

The volleyball team is incredibly disappointing, but I think Coach Morrow has done an acceptable job (not great, but acceptable)... she has done some good things, but she does need a good season this year ... too much turnover in the players ... but she has been getting very good recruits the last 2 seasons, and it is time for them to pay off ...

Buddy Christ Says: Go Mavs !!!

Quote    Reply   

UTArlingtonMaverick

#8 [url]

Sep 9 12 6:57 PM

I have not followed the women's basketball team and coach closely enough to make a judgement on Morrow. My bad. I have heard rumblings on this board, however.

Volleyball is another situation for me. I follow that closely, and the situation has been intolerable for much too long.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

FoUTASportscaster

Maverick

#9 [url]

Sep 10 12 1:53 PM

UTArlingtonMaverick wrote:
anybody know when the volleyball coach's contract runs out?

that's a variable.

we can't keep her. gotta go. needed to go a long time ago. you'd think we were running a welfare program for coaches based on how she has been retained and retained. this blindness is a significant error of the previous athletic administration. it doesn't take a particularly astute observer to see that she has one and only one style of coaching and if a player doesn't fit in that exact way it doesn't work. you can't treat women as one size fits all. the sooner Baker makes a change, the better.

This is where I don't know that I agree with you.
In 2004, they were 24-7.
In 2005, they were 6-21.
2006, 25-10.
2007, 19-11.
2008, 7-23.
2009, 12-17.
2010, 17-15.
2011, 12-19.

Those aren't bad years, but the last four have been subpar. In 2006 and 07, those were her teams and they had good winning %. But in the last five years, we are on pace for 1 season above .500. With our history, we should be .500 at worst.

Losing to TAMU-CC was my breaking point. Now Northwestern St (we were 38-4 in the previous 42 meetings).

I don't envy her or Morrow, having to have rebuilding years while moving to the WAC and then the SBC, both better top-to-bottom. However, losing to TAMU-CC and NWern is an indication that we haven't improved. The WAC isn't that great of a volleyball conference, especially with Hawaii gone, but it is still better than the SLC top-to-bottom. Sadly, I don't think this team would be in the top half of the SLC (we are 0-3 against them this year).

Quote    Reply   

Duck

Maverick

#10 [url]

Sep 11 12 9:06 AM

The situation is McCarteresque. My friends in the local VB community have known about this for years, and have just looked on in amazement.

Come on, Mr. Baker, let's just bite the bullet and get a winner.

Quote    Reply   

UTArlingtonMaverick

#11 [url]

Sep 11 12 8:36 PM

And now we lose three straight games to TCU. not even competitive.
it's an absolute disgrace. this has been so obvious for so long now. Heart of gold notwithstanding, an AD who wouldn't address this problem was a problem. I hope we have one now who will. I'm pretty sure we do, knowing where he comes from. He knows how it is supposed to be done.

Of course, TCU knows we are absolute crap, so they have no problem scheduling us during this period. When we get a new coach and start to turn this disaster around, they probably won't be so interested.

Quote    Reply   

FoUTASportscaster

Maverick

#13 [url]

Sep 16 12 3:03 PM

It is a good way to start, but La Tech is likely to be the last place team in the conference, so that should be the outcome (so should the NWern and TAM-CC matches too, though).

Of course, this raises the question of how accurate pre-season polls in the conference shuffling stages are. They can be inaccurate when the conference has been stable for a decade. For example, Denver in now 0-2 in WAC play, and they were supposed to contend for the title.

So maybe La Tech isn't that bad, but most Louisiana schools are poor volleyball schools.

Quote    Reply   

Duck

Maverick

#14 [url]

Sep 16 12 6:31 PM

It's good to win, and we can always say that the first WAC contest was a win for the Mavs. Congrats to the team.

Quote    Reply   

GiantBenMav

Alumni

#15 [url]

Nov 3 12 7:59 AM

Looks like this season is coming grinding to halt ... needed a win against UTSA and lost in 3 sets ... they appear to be more competitive then last year, but things are just not improving ... change might look in order ...

Buddy Christ Says: Go Mavs !!!

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help