Remove this ad

Duck

Maverick

#21 [url]

Apr 6 13 3:45 PM

Re: The Sun Belt's expansion

[quote]The second is personal. If your founder and very visible person is as divisive and caustic as Jerry Falwell, then there will always be that type associated with your U, fair or not. I don't want that to taint UTA's endevours.(sic) Seriously? I suppose you must feel the same about ORU and BYU, what with the obnoxious exploits of the eponymous Oral Roberts and Brigham Young. Also, it would be good to read up on Amasa Leland Stanford. He was not exactly a saint, either.

Compared to those three gentlemen, who actually had the effrontery to name their colleges after themselves, the late Dr. Falwell looks pretty good to me. I'm more conservative than you, having had an additional 30 years or so to deprogram from the liberal indoctrination of the academy, so perhaps that is another unspoken factor.

Personally, I have an aversion to schools whose colors include orange, and schools that banned ROTC. But hey, to each his own. (BTW, it's "endeavors".)

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

FoUTASportscaster

Maverick

#22 [url]

Apr 6 13 7:21 PM

Duck wrote:
[quote]The second is personal. If your founder and very visible person is as divisive and caustic as Jerry Falwell, then there will always be that type associated with your U, fair or not. I don't want that to taint UTA's endevours.(sic)

Seriously? I suppose you must feel the same about ORU and BYU, what with the obnoxious exploits of the eponymous Oral Roberts and Brigham Young. Also, it would be good to read up on Amasa Leland Stanford. He was not exactly a saint, either.

Compared to those three gentlemen, who actually had the effrontery to name their colleges after themselves, the late Dr. Falwell looks pretty good to me.

Personally, I have an aversion to schools whose colors include orange, and schools that banned ROTC. But hey, to each his own. (BTW, it's "endeavors".)

I wasn't talking from my perspective. There are many people who consider themselves conservative dislike him and his tactics (BTW, don't confuse religion and politics, many people are conservative and non-religious and many religious are liberal politically). If you don't think Falwell is divisive, then I don't know what to tell you. Liberty U maybe his most public, lasting accomplishment.

Even in hard-right leaning Texas, his name is a flashpoint. I can't imagine what it would be in more centered places. UTA is in a conference no longer dominated by two states.

As for the other founders, they may not be modern enough to be the flashpoint that Falwell is.

[quote]I'm more conservative than you, having had an additional 30 years or so to deprogram from the liberal indoctrination of the academy, so perhaps that is another unspoken factor.

Quote    Reply   

UTAMavalum83

Senior

#23 [url]

Apr 7 13 1:51 PM

Duck wrote:
[quote]The second is personal. If your founder and very visible person is as divisive and caustic as Jerry Falwell, then there will always be that type associated with your U, fair or not. I don't want that to taint UTA's endevours.(sic)
Seriously? I suppose you must feel the same about ORU and BYU, what with the obnoxious exploits of the eponymous Oral Roberts and Brigham Young. Also, it would be good to read up on Amasa Leland Stanford. He was not exactly a saint, either.

Compared to those three gentlemen, who actually had the effrontery to name their colleges after themselves, the late Dr. Falwell looks pretty good to me. I'm more conservative than you, having had an additional 30 years or so to deprogram from the liberal indoctrination of the academy, so perhaps that is another unspoken factor.

Brilliant. Unfortunately, there is a decidedly more liberal slant in all higher education circles today - including those that are frequently thought of (or which market themselves) as being faith-based or Christ-centered. I can tell you some real stories. Regardless, it's one thing to say we're going to put a priority on balanced, objective instruction; it's quite another to encourage and reward tendencies either direction. Isn't learning intended to make each individual think (and defend their rationale) - rather than concede or get in line with the way "we're" thinking?

And of course, I've already made it clear how I feel about the dreamsicle tint of our Alma Mater's supposed "trim" color - which seems to be gaining steam as the more prominent (perhaps one day even primary) color.

Quote    Reply   

UTAMavalum83

Senior

#24 [url]

Jun 9 13 3:09 PM

New Mexico State; how long until the Commissioner invites them to be a complete member (and not just football only)? It's their basketball and baseball programs that will add the most to the Sun Belt, anyway. And it will go a long way to cementing a new rivalry between the Aggies and us (as well as between them and Texas State). The western side of the Sun Belt could use a boost, and the strong Olympic sports of NMSU will provide just what's needed.

Some on the WAC board have said that they think NMSU is phasing it's move to the SBC over several years, so they can share in the revenues coming from departing WAC members; perhaps that's the reason they were only "invited" with a FB membership (at least for now).

Quote    Reply   

Duck

Maverick

#25 [url]

Jun 27 13 10:57 PM

Just three more days and we will be out of the WAC and into the 'Belt. Here's hoping we will become full members before too long.

Quote    Reply   

Duck

Maverick

#27 [url]

Jun 28 13 11:13 AM

FoUTASportscaster wrote:
We already are full members, unless of course you consider only schools with women's golf to be full members.
Not to mention Gymnastics and Soccer!

Quote    Reply   

Duck

Maverick

#29 [url]

Jun 30 13 2:55 PM

Okay, today is officially the last day I can call it "The Slumbelt." Henceforth, I must act as though it is the number one non-BCS conference, composed almost entirely of academically and athletically superior institutions of higher learning. Now if Karl Benson can just keep it together for a couple of years.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

SlyFox

#31 [url]

Feb 9 14 6:20 PM

Expansion talk is back on the table and my Liberty Flames are wearing the league presidents down with our availability. Hopefully the more presidents have learned about our school today has taken them beyond the caricature depictions even displayed in this thread by some. I would love to be able to make the drive up 45 and catch my alma mater in action in Arlington.

FlameFans.com - Liberty Message Board

Quote    Reply   

SlyFox

#33 [url]

Feb 9 14 7:54 PM

The more you know us the more you'll love us.

Secretly I am always looking for an excuse to get up to the Metroplex for some Braum's. Facing you guys in any sport would be a good excuse.

Quote    Reply   

Duck

Maverick

#34 [url]

Feb 10 14 5:47 PM

Welcome slyfox. It's good to have you visit, and good luck on sb membership!

Quote    Reply   

Duck

Maverick

#37 [url]

Feb 11 14 8:04 AM

Re Braums, it was a nice lesson to learn as a youngster that 1/3 pound hamburgers were bigger than 1/4 pounders. (Also, that perhaps Liberal Arts would be the right academic path rather than math.)

Quote    Reply   

SlyFox

#38 [url]

Feb 14 14 2:55 PM

From the Texas State Rivals guy:

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help