Remove this ad

FoUTASportscaster

Maverick

Maverick

Lead

Jun 17 12 11:26 AM

Tags : :

As we leave the SLC for the WAC, I have been thinking about some of the teams and rivalries we will lose. Yes, we will renew conference rivalries with Arkansas St, Louisiana-Monroe and Louisiana-Lafeyette will maintaining Texas St. But, we have been conference rivalries with McNeese for four decades, Lamar for near four decades in a little less than in two stints, Northwestern, Sam and SFA for two and half decades, UTSA and Nicholls for two and Southeastern Louisiana for a decade and a half.

Over the years, we have seen great games (how many times have we played Sam to an overtime game in the men's basketball tourney?), heated exchanges, huge desires just to finish ahead of this one team, failure or succes at their hand, and just otherwise shown the pagentry of college sports. That will be missed, and something that is being missed all across the country as realignment moves on in its current form.

Which SLC team would you like to remain conference rivals? (Result)

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

FoUTASportscaster

Maverick

#1 [url]

Jun 19 12 8:10 PM

Re: Which SLC team would you like the SBC to offer an invite

I would like to see our rivalry continued with SFA for the following reasons.

I believe they were our biggest rival in the SLC, particularly since the 2002/2003 school year.

For the last four years, they have finished 1st, 2nd, 1st and 3rd in the commissioners cup.

We are pretty even with them in most sports. In football we are 3-1, volleyball is 30-27-1, men's basketball is 31-29, the women are 17-46, baseball is 31-21 and softball is 61-45.

Their facilities are pretty good. Johnson Arena is one of the better basketball venues in the conference, Shelton gym does well for volleyball, Homer Bryce is an upper level SLC football stadium and wouldn't need much to jump and they field a good track program because of it. Their softball stadium is ok, on par with ours and only their baseball stadium would need some attention, though it would still pass.

I think the student body is kinda feeling the same way. SFA was the most attended men's basketball game in 10-11, 08-09, 07-08, 06-07, 04-05 and 03-04. They were the second most attended game in 02-03. In 09-10 and 05-06 they were in the east division and therefore did not play at Texas Hall at all. This year was different, since the new arena opened, but they were the second most attended Texas Hall game.

Personal reasons. I still remember getting the fraternaties riled up to actually go to a game in 2003 because of an awful visit on their court in the first half of the conference schedule. To me as a student, that was the closest I can remember to feeling a true college basketball atmosphere.

Quote    Reply   

Duck

Maverick

#3 [url]

May 9 13 9:49 AM

Dang. It would only let me vote once. I voted Lamar because it is our longest-term rival and a natural Homecoming Game victim when we get football again.

Quote    Reply   

FoUTASportscaster

Maverick

#4 [url]

May 9 13 12:30 PM

Makes sense. That would have been my number two. The distance seems to be a bit much to keep the rivalry flames going. Plus we have never really played much in the major sports with something on the line. Certainly not in football where neither of our successful streaks were overlapped. Same in basketball, we were terrible for so long while they dominated. There were a few instances in baseball, but that is about it.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

GiantBenMav

Alumni

#5 [url]

May 9 13 9:14 PM

SHSU for me ... good quality across the board, good fans ...

SFA would be next ....

I never was too fond of Lamar ... always looked at them as a cross between a JuCo and a Louisiana school ... just meh across the board

Buddy Christ Says: Go Mavs !!!

Quote    Reply   

FoUTASportscaster

Maverick

#6 [url]

Jan 21 14 7:07 AM

Without Kaspar, SFA is still the bellwether of the SLC. 16-2 on the year, 5-0 in conference. They didn't have a signature win like they did last year at OU, but they just keep winning.

Quote    Reply   

FoUTASportscaster

Maverick

#7 [url]

Jan 25 14 10:55 PM

SFA wins again, 18-2, 7-0 in the SLC.

But what prompted me to post, what the hell has happened to Lamar? After winning the tournament our last year in the SLC, they went 3-28 last year and are 2-18 this year. This isn't the Cardinals basketball team I knew.

Quote    Reply   

UTArlingtonMaverick

#8 [url]

Jan 25 14 11:32 PM

Looks like changes are in order at Lamar.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help