Remove this ad

FoUTASportscaster

Maverick

Maverick

Lead

May 25 12 8:36 AM

Tags : :

The loss of us, Texas State and UT-SA has prompted the SLC to expand.

A great move is bringing in Oral Roberts. Adding them alone makes me think that the move to the Sun Belt is somewhat of a waste. They are ranked ahead of us in basketball and baseball and will keep the conference competitive in the RPI rankings. The will join at the start of the 2012/13 sports year.

Houston Baptist is also joining, but I am quite certain this is for football only. They will be field a team at the start of the 2014 season. In every other sport, they have been ranked in the bottom third. They bring nothing to the table but a warm body.

Just recently, they authorized bringing visitation teams to New Orleans, Abilene Christian and Incarnate Word. I like the New Orleans move. Historically they have been competitive. The last few years they have suffered as the legislature bounced around the idea of moving to D-II and D-III. They left the Sun Belt where they were competitive in the sports offered. Now that they are in the Lousiana System rather than the Louisiana State system, they should be stable. If they rise back to the level they were, this would be a huge improvement, similar to Oral Roberts in my book.

I think ACU (a former founding member) and UIW are about football only. ACU was competitive previously, but I am not certain how they will fare in the rise to D-1.
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

FoUTASportscaster

Maverick

#1 [url]

Jun 2 12 7:41 AM

Re: Southland Expansion

Considering that oral Roberts had a top 80 RPI in men's basketball and they beat the #1 Baylor team yesterday, and if New Orleans gets an invite and returns to the prominent athletics program they once held, the SLC may be one of the few conferences that are as good as or better than before.

The only other conference that got better in my book is the Big 10 with Nebraska.

The Pac-12 added numbers, not quality competition.

I don't know what the SEC gains with A&M and Missouri, but it doesn't improve the conference.

The ACC made a good move in basketball, but SYracuse and Pittsburgh are lateral moves or worse in every other sport.

The WAC is decimated.

The MWC added bodies, but Utah St and San Jose don't make up for the loss of TCU, Boise and Utah.

C-USA adding North Texas, UTSA, Florida International, La Tech, Old Dominion and Charlotte doesn't make up for SMU, Houston, Memphis and Central Florida, though at least the disparity isn't wide.

The A-10 made a lateral move when it lost Temple but regained some basketball schools in Butler and VCU.

I think Texas State and us are comparable to North Texas and Fla. Int., so they didn't loss much ground. Plus losing Denver allowed them to get closer in geography.

The MAC losing Temple in football only was kind of a meh moment, but they were bringing in another school to move from 13 to 14, so that kinda sucks for them.

At least through all of this, institutionally we are better, but there isn't much difference between the Sun BNelt now and the SLC 25 years ago.

Quote    Reply   

FoUTASportscaster

Maverick

#2 [url]

Aug 24 12 11:32 AM

New Orleans has decided to join the SLC, a great move for both entities. UNO is competitive in most every sport. UNO Offers almost the exact same sports as UTA, except instead of softball, they participate in women's golf. They are already affiliate members in men's tennis.

Incarnate Word has also joined. However, the process for moving from D-II to I is a lengthy one and they won't be 100% official until 2017-18. UIW offers all sports the SLC does, plus men's soccer and both genders swimming & diving.

Abilene Christian still hasn't made its decision.

The SLC will have 10 members this year and 13 next.

Quote    Reply   

FoUTASportscaster

Maverick

#3 [url]

Aug 25 12 5:34 PM

I should have waited, as ACU accepted the SLC invite yesterday. They offer 16 of the SLC's 17 sports, with only women's golf not offered (I imagine that will change with the increase in scholarships. They, too, will have to go through the transition process.

Overall, I think the SLC came out great. The additions of Oral Roberts, who competes in ever sport the offer, and New Orleans, who have a great history of competing nationally, up the SLC in all-sports. ACU has done well in football, but never at a D-1 level. UIW is an unknown, but have a really big budget and will be one of the higher SLC ones right now. The loss of Texas State and us in baseball will be offset, so the SLC should maintain their top 10 baseball conference standing.

Set for the beginning of 2013, the SLC will include New Orleans, Southeastern Louisiana, Nicholls St, McNeese, Northwestern St, Lamar and Central Arkansas in the east and Abilene Christian, Incarnate Word, Houston Baptist, Sam Houston, Texas A&M-Corpus, SFA and Oral Roberts in the west.

The divisions are my guess, the teams aren't. I could see Lamar in the west to partner with Houston Baptist and Oral Roberts in the east to partner with Central Arkansas, but with seven teams in each division, there will either have to be a cross division partner or one stand alone in each.

I am impressed with what the SLC did. I would welsome ORU and UNO in the Belt, if it were to come to that.

Quote    Reply   

UTArlingtonMaverick

#4 [url]

Aug 26 12 7:18 PM

Thanks for the info, Fo.

Interestingly, Abilene Christian is a charter member of the Southland, although they have been gone for ages.

I think the Southland has done well with its pickups. But, I'm glad we are not there anymore. Those schools are not peer institutions.

Quote    Reply   

FoUTASportscaster

Maverick

#5 [url]

Dec 5 13 8:29 PM

Oral Roberts is leaving after this year to go back to the Summit. Boy the SLC is imploding on a national competitiveness scale, all in the name of 1-AA football.

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help