Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

FoUTASportscaster

Maverick

#1 [url]

May 22 12 11:37 AM

Re: BOR voting on Sunbelt move

Yup, that was pretty much a done deal whn it was announced.

I was surprised to hear that the flyer said the tv revenue was comparable. I thought the WAC had a much bigger tv payout.

Quote    Reply   

FoUTASportscaster

Maverick

#2 [url]

May 25 12 8:10 AM

We are now officially in the Sun Belt. If I was on the fence about a move to the WAC, I don't think I am shocking you guys by saying I am underwhelmed. Competition is somewhat better, but travel costs are quite a bit higher, though not as much as if the WAC stayed put. I am going to do an RPI comparison for the major sports to see how they rank, but I can't imagine much higher comppetition.

Quote    Reply   

Duck

Maverick

#3 [url]

May 25 12 12:42 PM

FoUTASportscaster wrote:
We are now officially in the Sun Belt. If I was on the fence about a move to the WAC, I don't think I am shocking you guys by saying I am underwhelmed. Competition is somewhat better, but travel costs are quite a bit higher, though not as much as if the WAC stayed put. I am going to do an RPI comparison for the major sports to see how they rank, but I can't imagine much higher comppetition.

I also am underwhelmed. If UNT had stayed in the SBC, it might have made sense to some degree. Given their flight to the C-USA, the only reasonable explanation for us going to the SBC is that we are planning to do football. Spanny has said that he did not want to do FCS, but that if and when we do FB, he wants us to be at the FBS level.

I certainly don't mind not being in the same conference with La Tech, but ULL and ULM are not much of an upgrade over McNeese and Nicholls State.

Guess I can't call it the "Slumbelt" anymore.

Quote    Reply   

FoUTASportscaster

Maverick

#4 [url]

May 28 12 6:45 AM

Sadly, just about anyone is an upgrade over Nicholls. If you look at the history of the conference in each sport, you will always see the number of championships in each sport. There are always dynasties, like us in volleyball, La Tech and La-Mo in men's basketball and SFA in women's basketball. In baseball you see a few teams like Lamar and Texas State at the top.

Nicholls on the otherhand rarely is in the top two-thirds of any championship list. McNeese is usually competitive in the team sports. UL-M and UL-La are a McNeese equivalent, but there is nothing in the Belt like a Nicholls. In fact, in many ways, the SLC is a good conference if you look at the top tier, but it is the bottom tier that brings it up. In baseball, as an example, Lamar was clearly in the lower half, but since they had a good showing against non-conference opponents, brought everyone else up (they are rated the fifth best conference team in the RPI index). That doesn't happen in the other sports.

The SBC as a whole is better than the SLC. The top tier, however is only marginal.

The ironic thing is that if every SLC team stayed put, the conference would be at the same level or higher than the Sun Belt. Of course, it may have been the move-ups that allowed some of these teams to get better. However, as a precursor of things to come, the Southland dropping to 1-AA in football precipitated all of these moves. UL-La moved up right away. UL-M, UNT, La Tech, Ark St, Troy and now Tx St and UTSA all left the SLC so they could play in 1-A. One more school and the former SLC schools could make a complete conference.

But yes, you can still call them the Slum Belt. With the dissolution of the WAC, they are still likely to be the worst conference of the 1-A's. However, since they have stayed relatively intact, they should at least be better overall. We know the Big East, Mountain West, C-USA and most certainly the WAC, if there is going to be a WAC in football, got worse. That in and of itself is huge for the Belt.

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help