Remove this ad

runamuck

Junior

Lead

Feb 15 12 2:46 PM

Tags : :

what do we do now that Benson has left and next so are all the good programs....try to get in the SBC ?....
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

80sAlum

Alumni

#1 [url]

Feb 15 12 11:58 PM

Re: The end of the WAC

I guess this is something I am going to choose to not worry about, as I cannot do anything about it....that said, I also trust Spaniolo to take care of things inthe the athletic arena as well as the academic one. We keep winning and drawing 5000 + crowds to basketball, i can't help but believe things will fall in place for our University.

Quote    Reply   

UTArlingtonMaverick

#2 [url]

Feb 16 12 9:47 PM

80sAlum, you express my sentiments exactly on the conference situation.

Happy to be in the WAC, would be wonderful it held together, but I ain't going to worry about it, either.

I think we do know we will have next year with the WAC schools currently in place, and I'm looking forward to it.

Quote    Reply   

GiantBenMav

Alumni

#3 [url]

Feb 16 12 10:08 PM

Since CUSA and Mtn West are merging and with Benson leaving the WAC to join the Sunbelt, would not be entirely surprised to see a WAC and Sunbelt merger ... would be a good thing for UTA, bringing together the increased level of competition and a much more regional feel .. unlikely in my opinion ... or the new CUSA / Mtn West poaches a couple of the Sunbelt / Wac schools and the WAC ends up a basketball conference, or stays alive by poaching Southland / Independent schools ...

I have a feeling the WAC will not be our only conference in the next 5 years ... too many variables outside of our control ...

Buddy Christ Says: Go Mavs !!!

Quote    Reply   

hooch

#4 [url]

Feb 17 12 7:41 AM

I really like the idea of a Sun Belt/WAC merger. My fear is that after Fresno State, Nevada and Hawaii leave, within three years or so the WAC will have a diminished conference rating and however around closer to the Southland. This essentially would become a lateral move for UTA as the ever-changing landscape of the conferences poach more schools with football.

This is what my ideal conference would look like:

North Texas
Texas-Arlington
Louisiana Tech
Utah State
Texas-San Antonio
New Mexico State
Texas State
Denver
Stephen F Austin
and bring in Oral Roberts, why not.

This conference would be mainly for basketball with the hopes that football would be added.

Quote    Reply   

80sAlum

Alumni

#5 [url]

Feb 17 12 10:00 AM

Maybe it's a good thing UTA didn't paint "WAC" on the new basketball floor yet!....just on the practice courts so far...

Quote    Reply   

FoUTASportscaster

Maverick

#6 [url]

Feb 18 12 5:52 PM

hooch wrote:
This is what my ideal conference would look like:

North Texas
Texas-Arlington
Louisiana Tech
Utah State
Texas-San Antonio
New Mexico State
Texas State
Denver
Stephen F Austin
and bring in Oral Roberts, why not.

This is nice from many standpoints, but not the one that matters, football. There are only 6 1-A football schools on the list, and 8 would be the minimum. Sadly, that is the tail that wags this dog.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

GiantBenMav

Alumni

#7 [url]

Feb 18 12 6:03 PM

Very true Fo; football is what matters ... for "true" division 1

You could add Lamar to the list, but you probably have to remove SFA, who have shown NO interest in moving up to the FBS ...

In a perfect word you bunch up geographically of similarly qualified schools

Football, pick 10 from
La Tech
New Mexico State
New Mexico
UNT
UTSA
Texas State
Lamar
Louisiana Lafayette
Louisiana Monroe
Tulane
Tulsa
UTEP
Houston
SMU
Air Force

Basketball Only
UTA
Denver
Utah State
Oral Roberts

a solid conference can be made from that list ... and I am sure I am missing some schools ... a strong regional conference is all that is left that could work ... I really don't believe a 24 team conference spread out across the country is viable; not unless it is filled with the UT's and OU's of the world ...

I think once this mega conference experiment fails, the NCAA will transition back to a more regional feel ...

Buddy Christ Says: Go Mavs !!!

Quote    Reply   

FoUTASportscaster

Maverick

#8 [url]

Feb 18 12 6:46 PM

One option for UTA would be the Missouri Valley Conference. It has developed into one of the best mid-major basketball conferences.

It is currently 9th out of 32 conferences in D1, and only the MWC and A-10 are ahead of it in non-BCS conferences.

Quote    Reply   

UTAMavalum83

Senior

#9 [url]

Feb 19 12 9:46 PM

I'm sorry - but the Mo Valley would mean waaaay too much travel. They have no one close to us.

I think we're sounding too much of an alarm; no one knows for sure what's going to happen until the CUSA/MWC merger shakes out. Let's be patient. I think things will work out well - quite possibly still in the WAC. Regardless, I don't see us returning to the Southland. The CPC changes things, and the hope of FB would be the crowning move to true D I status (likewise making us much more attractive to the new WAC, the Sunbelt, and/or whatever else may come).

Quote    Reply   

UTAMavalum83

Senior

#10 [url]

Feb 19 12 9:47 PM

80sAlum wrote:
Maybe it's a good thing UTA didn't paint "WAC" on the new basketball floor yet!....just on the practice courts so far...

Couldn't do that, since we're not in the WAC yet . . . .

Quote    Reply   

runamuck

#11 [url]

Feb 20 12 3:13 PM

I wouldnt see us going back to the SLC..one reason to move out of there in the first place is that the overall academics of the conference is below the level of UTA...the UTSA bloggers had it right on their fan site when they said that you are judged by the friends you keep and the perception of being at the same level as a NW state or a Nicholls or Mcneese who are Regional schools is not good for our drive to Tier 1. With the addition of Houston Baptist and maybe UTPA..the image of the conference IMHO is taking a step backward..no one I know has any of these schools on their short list of where to send their kids to...

Quote    Reply   

FoUTASportscaster

Maverick

#12 [url]

Feb 20 12 8:53 PM

In defense of the SLC, this is more of a commentary on college athletics these days. Our peers at various points used to be Louisiana Tech, North Texas, Arkansas St., La-La, La-Mo, etc. All have searched for greener pastures. Had they stayed, the SLC would be quite similar to the SBC now.

A conference with the above, us, UTSA and Texas St-SM is both competitive and academic peers to some degree.

As it is, is it UTA's fault that we are doing what every one else has done? We have stayed put, building the conference up while others have jumped. Looked where that has gotten us.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help